Chapter 69: Cowboy

Bắt đầu từ đầu

"Next year. We'll have a proper comeback next year for sure," Luna said, not missing a beat. Her confidence in "next year" had always been unwavering, whether they were facing the gap between Red Light and 4 Walls or the gap between 4 Walls and whatever the next release would be. Krystal felt that perhaps a 2017 comeback might be a pipedream, but just like Luna she also believed that there was no question that f(x) would have another full comeback one day. The only question was when.

"Next year," Amber agreed wistfully, reaching over to pat Luna on the head just as Krystal had just done. "Right?" She turned and looked expectantly at Krystal.

To Amber and Luna's surprise, the youngest f(x) member smiled widely and gave them a feigned look of confusion. She picked up their new "Cowboy" album from the nearby table and gestured over to where Victoria was practicing the new choreography, which had yet to be seen by the world.

"Next year? What are you guys talking about?" Krystal asked with a smile. "Our next comeback is tomorrow night."

Amber and Luna's confused expressions slowly melted into faint smiles as they realized that Krystal had a point. A comeback was about releasing new music, showing a new side of themselves to the world, and sharing it all with their fans. f(x) wouldn't be performing "Cowboy" on music shows for this comeback, but wasn't performing their newest song on a solo stage in front of MeU even better than a music show audience full of strangers?

Before Luna or Amber could agree, Victoria called to them from across the practice room.

"Guys, I think I've got it. Let's start the full run throughs for 'Cowboy!'" Victoria announced with a weary but triumphant smile, waving her members over. She grabbed Luna and Krystal's hands cheerfully and began to dance an in-place skipping step that was part of the "Cowboy" choreography. "Make sure you put your hearts into the 'Cowboy' practice. Our comeback tomorrow night needs to be perfect!"

A look of surprise passed between Krystal, Amber, and Luna as they realized that Victoria had been thinking similarly to Krystal about "Cowboy" being a comeback.

"What?" Victoria wondered curiously, glancing between her members.

"Oh, nothing," Krystal responded with a smile. "We were just talking about the same thing just now."

As the day before the first encore performance wore on, the rehearsals as four members were just as fun as any pre-comeback rehearsal had ever been. Krystal missed them being together as four. It was such a rare opportunity these days that she tried to cherish this time together. She missed spending long days in the practice room with everyone. She missed the feeling of accomplishment for working hard and showing off something new. "4 Walls" was over a year ago and fans were craving something new, and she was eager to show "Cowboy" to the world.

And now they were finally on stage again for the first of two encore performance of Dimension 4. With "Diamond" complete, they paused for a much needed break and a new ment section to introduce "Cowboy" and give their MeU the comeback they had been waiting for.

After experimental comebacks like "Rum Pum Pum Pum", "Red Light", and "4 Walls", it was like f(x) had returned to their electropop sound for "Cowboy". The song was loud and bouncy and fun, everything a comeback should be. Krystal was filled with pride throughout the entire performance. There would be no music show trophies waiting for them after the song ended, but the screaming crowd was trophy enough.

The "new" didn't end with "Cowboy". When the intro for "All Mine" began to play instead of "So Into U" during the encore, much to the audience's surprise, Krystal heard the loudest cheers all night. She and Luna walked hand in hand around the arena during the performance, happily waving to their MeU.

Krystal loved making memories with the fans, walking close enough to MeU that they touched hands as she passed out candy during "Airplane". She loved laughing on stage with her members as they goofed around during "Ice Cream", and seeing Luna stumble to her knees during "Deja Vu" on day 2 and dancing in that position amid giggles, and dancing "Shake That Brass" with Amber, playfully shimmying up to the older girl during the performances.

She loved hearing the crowd cheering for Victoria on day 2. Victoria had been so sickly on day 1, barely surviving "Club f(x)" in the final section of the concert. Their leader was much better today, but hearing the audience chant Victoria's name during her "Rude Love" solo to give her strength was very touching. And when she took Victoria's hand as she normally did while they walked down the steps, she could see that Victoria was touched as well.

But by far the memory that made Krystal smile most was during "All Mine" on day 2. It was an unscripted moment between them when Amber picked her up during "All Mine". Krystal was startled when her feet left the ground, but she had no doubt that the two strong arms that hugged her tightly from behind and supported her belonged to Amber.

When Krystal's feet landed on the ground again, she caught Amber's hand and spun around to look at her. Their eyes met for a fraction of a second and the young lovers smiled at each other, sharing a million words of love and adoration and a semi serious threat of death after the concert from Krystal to Amber. And then they let go of each others' fingertips and spun away from their private world and back into their idol lives to perform the rest of their concert, finishing up a two day comeback that was filled with enough memories to keep her and f(x) going until their next comeback.

Their "Cowboy" comeback was unorthodox to say the least, but hearing their fans cheering for them in such a large venue made Krystal feel certain that the support of their MeU was all f(x) would ever need to keep going.

Author's Notes: Happy 8th anniversary to f(x) and MeU! I've been with f(x) for about 3 years now, arguably the most difficult 3 years that f(x) has ever faced, but I don't regret falling in love with f(x) for a second. I'll be here for the next 8 years and a lifetime after that!

4 chapters to go. I really want to finish C&C before the end of the month (the final 3 chapters are drafted!!) but I don't know if my work schedule will allow it... I'll do my best. The biggest hurdle right now is finding time to draft the next chapter. Once that's done and written, the final 3 chapters should be a breeze. :) Aiming to release chapter 70 by 9/12, but don't get your hopes up. It's probably bad for your health to believe my estimations. XD See you next time!!

Connections To Reality:
[Coming "Soon"!]