Choice Notes - Chapter Twentyone

FINN'S POV

Jack came home late Monday night as promised, and was greeted at the door with a sweet kiss from Beth, making my insides stir. I had never been comfortable watching Jack kissing someone, even on TV when he was in that stupid KFC advert, but this was different; I actually had an emotional connection to the person at receiving end of it.

"You alright, mate?" Jack said, snapping me out of my trance and back to reality; annoying, typical reality.

"Yeah, just tired," I said, rubbing my eyes a little for effect. I had never been a good liar, and I could tell Jack had instantly picked up on it by the confused look in his eyes. Could he sense what had happened between Beth and I over the weekend?

The day after 'the kiss' happened had been a little weird; Beth and I had spoken, but it was only playful small talk. It was obvious that she was worried about the consequences she would have to face, and so was I. I just couldn't believe how much of an idiot I was and how against my nature my actions had been.

"How was it?" Beth asked as she and Jack walked, arms wrapped around one another's waists, into the living room whilst I silently slipped away up the stairs and into my bedroom. I felt like screaming or hitting myself around the head with a heavy book at how messed up this whole situation was; this wasn't meant to happen and I despised it. 

Hearing the chorus of laughter from downstairs only furthered the strangled hollowness which had settled in my stomach and fuelled the anger I held towards myself. Why and how had I allowed myself to fall into this trap, even when the consequences were clear and painful? Stupid, stupid, stupid.

BETH'S POV

Guilt invaded my blood system, attacking every single artery it could find before I felt like I was about to double over in pain as soon as Jack walked in the front door. Even days after Finn had kissed me, I couldn't get rid of the feeling of his lips on mine, and the smell of his skin from my nose, and the look on his face as I backed away from the insides of my eyelids. 

I thought forgiving Finn would relieve me of this guilt, that what happened would be forgotten, a simple fragment of the past, a petty mistake of our youth; but no, the memory stayed fresh in my mind, as if it were happening in the moment. No matter how hard I tried to shake it off, no matter how passionately I kissed Jack, it wouldn't go away.

"Are you okay?" Jack asked, pulling his lips away from mine, "Something feels different."

I swallowed and shook my head, "It was strange not having you here," I said, changing the topic slightly. I only hoped he couldn't see the guilt in my eyes.

"I was only gone for three days, it can't have been that bad," Jack said, stroking my cheek, a soft smile on his lips. He looked so peaceful and contented, and my heart pounded at the thought of ruining that serenity; hurting other people had always been worse than hurting myself.

I shrugged, and resting my head on his chest in an attempt to hide my face from him, I sighed "I'm glad you're back."

Jack kissed the top of my head, absentmindedly twirling a lock of my hair between his fingers, "Well that's always good to hear," he chuckled softly before sitting up a little to look at me. "Anyway, what did you and Finn get up to?"

I told Jack about what we did in brief, avoiding any details which could lead on to any further interrogation, "You didn't miss anything, don't worry."

"You guys still had fun though, right?" he said, furrowing his brow a little.

"Of course, you know what Finn and I are like when we're together," I said in a sort of half-laugh before hastily adding, "Messing about and stuff all the time, I mean..."