The Break-Up: Zoe's POV

Zoe's POV

“Take this,” the photographer ordered, handing me a pink baseball bat. “Copy what Ashley is doing.”

I hurried onto set, where Ashley was having her picture taken.

She was wearing a Tigers, crop top jersey, a pair of dark wash shorts, and light pink high tops. She was resting her blue baseball bat on the floor, resting her palms on top of it. Her perfect blonde hair fell in waves, framing her face at just the right angle.

I joined her, placing a fake smile on my face.  Next to Ashley, I felt like nothing. She was perfect in every way, on and off camera.

I was wearing a dark blue, crop top jersey with a large orange D across the front. It was paired with a pair of light blue shorts and blue converse. I rested the baseball bat exactly like hers.

They took multiple photos, and I couldn’t help but let my eyes search the room. Models were posing in front of different sets in different outfits. They were all drop-dead gorgeous, pulling off any outfit they’re put into.

“Zoe, next outfit, let’s go,” Jenny called, snapping her fingers.

I hurried off set and into the dressing room, my outfit labeled with my name.

I changed into the light green crop that that read PINK across the front in white letters. I quickly pulled on a pair of blue sweatpants that read LOVE PINK down the side, and white sneakers to complete the outfit, with blue shoelaces. I took a second to check my phone. New text from Carson?

“Zoe, let’s go!” Jenny called.

 I hurried back out onto set.

After the photo shoot, I packed up my stuff and changed back into my sweats and t-shirt. On my way outside, I checked Carson’s text.

Cody’s picking you up. Mason’s flipping shit.

I sighed and hurried outside. Cody was waiting in his car, checking his phone.

“Hey,” I called, breathlessly.

He flashed me a smile. “Hey babe, how was the shoot?”

I shrugged, unwilling to admit that it killed my self-esteem, being surrounded by beautiful girls for several hours made me feel like shit.

“Not well?” he asked, with a sympathy smile.

“It went okay. Just gets tedious sometimes is all.”

When we reached the house, I hurried inside and up to my room. I logged onto my Skype and called Mason, hoping to get his freak out over with.

Mason’s face popped up onto my screen. He was munching on a taco, a smile on his face.

“Hey babe!” he said, with a cheerful smile.

“Hey!” I chirped, offering him a bright smile in return.

“How was the shoot?” he asked, his eyes flickering down to his phone.

I felt my heart drop a little. I thought back to all the models. I bet they’d keep his attention. What’s wrong with me? Why does he always play with his phone when talking to me?

I took a deep breath. I couldn’t let this get to my head. Then I remembered what I’d needed to talk to Mason about.

“It was great. So I need to talk to you.”

“What’s up?” he asked, still looking at his phone.

I felt a bubble of frustration, along with a hint of sadness. “Did you break my dad’s nose?”