Sherlock - Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Sherlock

John walked down the slippery, wet sidewalk. Raindrops fell in clusters around his umbrella as he went along. He was searching for the little coffee shop where he usually sat and read the newpaper or played sudoku. He turned the corner and there it was with the blinking 'open' sign hanging in the window. He opened the door before closing his dripping umbrella.

Although John usually went to the cafe to sit and read books or play magazine puzzle, he had gone for something different. He pulled out the crumpled receipt which he had so ungracefuly shoved into his coat pocket and stared at the little name that was written about the phone number. Josie.

He made his way to the counter and stared up at the menu boards. A young man stalked over. "What can I get for you?" he asked.

"I'd like a cup of tea with honey," John answered. There was a long period of silence as the employee typed away at the register, his fingers fumbling across the little keys.

"That would be two pounds," he said after a while, pushing his large glasses up his nose.

John pulled out his wallet to get the money. "Do you know if Josie is here?" he asked as he pulled out the money.

"Yeah she is in the back," the boy pointed behind him, "I can go get her after I get your tea."

"Thank you," John said, turning on his heels to look out the windows at the solemn, gray clouds. People were scrambling past the glass trying to avoid the unavoidable pouring rain.

"Here," the employee tapped John on the shoulder, "Your tea. I'll go get Josie, now." He walked around the counter and out of sight.

John sat down at one of the tables, sipping his drink. Elevator music filled the still air as he sat alone. It was nice for him to have some alone time. He had asked the others if he could go out for a bit to have some time time to think.

"Hi," Josie walked up to the table.

John clumsily stood up. "I thought I'd come see you," he mumbled, trying to find a comfortable standing position.

"Well I'm glad you did, my shift is over," Josie smiled, "What do you say we get out of here?"

John grabbed his umbrella. "Let's go."

They walked through the doorway, shielded from the pelting rain by John's umbrella. "We can go to my place? Or yours?" Josie asked, "Or we can grab some dinner?"

John thought for a moment. His flat: head in the fridge, wall destroyed by bullet holes, and papers everywhere. "We can get some dinner to take to your place?" John offered.

"Sure, I know this great chinese take-out restaurant," Josie replied, "I know a short cut through here." She pointed down an alley that led to another street.

They began down between the buildings. "I'm really glad you decided to come and see me again," Josie said in John's ear. She stopped him for a moment. "Since you didn't call I thought you were going to ignore me."

John stared at her. "I've been busy. Sherlock -"

"Sherlock, this, and Sherlock, that," Josie clenched her fists at her sides. "Maybe we should get him, too."

"What?" John took a step back.

"Come on, John. You haven't figured it out?" Josie grinned darkly.

John looked around. They were standing in the middle of a dark alley where no one could see them.

A trap.

He dropped his umbrella and backed away from Josie. Rain came down over his head, immediately soaking him. She blinked and her eyes turned completely black. "Surprise!" she laughed. She kicked the back of his legs making him fall on his back. "Lucifer was right, you were easy to get," she said staring down at him.

Rain drops blurred John's vision, but he was able to make out Josie's foot coming toward his head. He made an attempt to block her hit, but he was in shock after she knocked him down.

There was a flood of pain on the side of his head before the whole world went black.

A/N:

Poor John. I'm so mean. Sorry I haven't updated in a while, but I was thinking about this chapter for a while and I've been meaning to get around to writing it but I've been lazy.

Hope you enjoyed! Vote and Comment!

TL4E