So Unexpected

4 Years Later – Los Angeles, California, 1967

“And… CUT!” The director yelled, his voice echoing out across the large MGM studio. Demi’s frame relaxed; she put aside her character and came back to reality. “Well done, everybody! Great job, Demi!” The director praised, patting Demi on the back. “Thank you, Larry. I’m gonna go back to my dressing room for a bit.” She replied, heading off in the opposite direction. “Funny you should say that… There’s someone waiting in there for you!”

Demi smiled when she found Priscilla waiting for her, sat on the couch at one side of the dressing room. “Cilla! What a lovely surprise!” Demi exclaimed, hugging Priscilla tight. Although they’d had their differences in the past – okay, Demi didn’t like her; Priscilla was oblivious – Demi had come to adore Priscilla. Although she loved Elvis and the boys, having another female to hang around with was a lot more fun than Demi had thought it was gonna be. Saying that, she hadn’t thought Priscilla would last. But when she officially moved into Graceland, Demi knew she was stuck with her. Demi, back in the present, suddenly noticed Priscilla was nervous. “Cilla, what’s wrong?” Demi asked, sitting next to her friend. “Elvis wanted to tell you himself, but then he thought you’d get mad. Why you’d get mad, I don’t know but…” Priscilla started. “Mad about what?” Demi asked, interrupting her. Priscilla held out her left hand, the rock on it blinding Demi. “You’re… engaged?” Demi managed to choke out after a few seconds. “Yes… Are you okay?” Priscilla asked, trying to hide the hurt in her voice. Demi couldn’t believe it; Elvis… engaged? Was the world coming to an end? Was the sky falling? Was it friggin’ opposite day?! The idea of Elvis being engaged couldn’t process in Demi’s mind. She knew he’d said that someday he’d marry Priscilla, but since then he’d expressed his doubts. But here they were. Demi shook her head and smiled. “Of course it’s okay. Congrats!” She replied, rubbing Priscilla’s back when she was pulled in for a hug by the bride-to-be. As Priscilla babbled unfathomably words in her ear, Demi mentally grimaced. There were those true feelings resurfacing again…