The Last Mask Piece

Start from the beginning

"I'm sorry for making you feel embarrassed ____. I'll go make your breakfast."

"Thanks," you muttered before going over to your seat.

During breakfast, which consisted of French toast stuffed with cream and strawberries and a cup of coffee, Nafera sat across from you and kept teasing you about what happened last night. Somehow she managed to make you feel less embarrassed as the meal passed and by the end you only thought of how she must have felt walking in on such a thing. Thus it switched over from her teasing you to you teasing her. By the end of breakfast both of you were laughing and joking with each other. When she saw that you were finished, she took your dishes and went to go clean them. You asked if you she wanted help, but she replied that it was no trouble.

Thus, you left the dining room and walked into the foyer. Stopping by the entrance doors, you felt like going outside into the courtyard, but the bracelet that was still on your wrist prevented you from doing so. Glancing at the piece of jewelry, you knew that Lucian hadn't taken it off because if something ever happened to you, he could easily determine your location. When Rezin kidnapped you, apparently he had messed with the magic of the bracelet, preventing Lucian from pinpointing your exact location, but he could know what your general location was. Personally, you wanted the thing off, but with Rezin still a threat, it was best that you kept it on. With this in mind, you walked up the stairs and headed to the study. Maybe you could learn a little bit more about the magic world.

Arriving at the study, you opened and closed the door behind you. Going over to one of the bookshelves, you picked a book off of the top shelf and read the cover. Seeing that the book was about the governing system of the magic world, you decided it a good idea to read the book. After reading the first few pages you were already quite bored with the text, but you pressed onwards, knowing that you would have to learn this at some point. When you were on page thirty, you heard the study door open and saw Lucian enter. He wore a black button-up shirt along with dark purple pants and his typical boots. His black coat with silver embroidery hung loosely on his shoulders. Leaning on the back of one of the red chairs, Lucian glanced down at what you were reading.

"Hmm, you look rather bored."

Looking up at him, you replied, "Well this isn't the most interesting of topics in my opinion, but you stated that I would be helping you govern, so I thought I would give this a read."

"I see, hmm you know when we reach that point, you could always just ask me any questions you had."

"Yeah, but I figure that it would be better if I understood just a little bit before we get to that point."

Yes, that would probably be best, but for now we should head out."

"Don't you want to eat something first?"

"I'll eat when we get back, hopefully this trip won't take too long. I expect that you'll like part of where we're going though."

Setting the book on your lap, you questioned, "Why where are we going?"

"Do you remember mentioning that you found the Calalannia Woods interesting? Well, that's where we will be going."

You did remember mentioning it, but you couldn't remember all the details about the woods. The only portion that you did remember was that it was supposedly night there at every hour of the day. Sunlight never reached the forest; rather the trees gained their light from some strange pillars that ran throughout the woods. Closing your book, you set it back on the shelf and signaled to Lucian that you were ready to go. Nodding, he linked his right arm with your left one and opened the portal. When the two of you exited on the other side, it closed and left you in your new location.

At first you were expecting to land in the middle of trees, but you were quite surprised to find yourself in some building, though the architecture of the place amazed you. Grey marble tiles lay out before you while pillars of stone, which resembled ancient trunks of trees, led up to a second story while a third story stood even higher. Dull golden candelabras and wall fixtures illuminated the grand place, highlighting the various spider webs that swept throughout the area. An old large clock ticked away to the left side of you, as its ancient sound echoed in the room. Elaborate and intricate doors were on the various levels while on your left side stood a large stone structure with multiple figures carved into it. Expressions of sorrow, remorse, pain, joy and anger painted the various figures' faces. Five maroon cushioned chairs were to the right side of you and you could almost imagine the ghostly figures that used to sit in them. Up ahead of you was a grand staircase, whose stone steps were covered by a rich maroon carpet. Resting at the top of the stairs were teal glass doors highlighted by gold vines that wrapped around them. On the right side of the doors were large white chiffon curtains that led to another part of the building.

Lucian saw your confusion and amazement before stating, "The woods are on the other side of those doors, though getting to those doors might not exactly be easy."

"What do you mean?"

Worry entered your being, as those words left his lips. Of course it wouldn't be as easy as walking up to the doors. Why did there always have to be some obstacle? You were tired of it, but this would be the last mask piece that you would have to retrieve.

"This room is filled with traps. One wrong step and we might very well find ourselves in a terrible situation."

"Couldn't you have just transported us directly into the woods?"

"No, the magic around this place does not allow such an easy access."

"Great, just great. Please tell me you know the safest path to those doors."

"I wish I did, but there's little information on this room. The only thing I know is to not walk up those stairs."

"Then, how are we supposed to get up there?"

"I think we must travel through those doors next to the clock."

"So essentially this room is a puzzle, except much more dangerous."

"Yes, so please remain by my side at all times. If we get separated in here, reaching you will not be an easy task, for I cannot open any portals in here. One can only take a portal to get here, but cannot use a portal to exit. A portal can only be opened once one gets past those doors."

Sighing, you only nodded before following Lucian towards the doors by the clock.