Chapter 4

Once arriving at the Pokemon Center, Nurse Joy showed the boys to their room and guided them towards a dining hall. Kalib and Daniel headed down the hall towards the dining hall. Kalib chose the noodle soup, while Daniel picked a burger. Kalib turned around to see a couple of familiar faces at one of the tables.

“Amy, Stefan!” Kalib said with an ounce of surprise. The two people looked at him and leapt up and rushed over to him. “Kalib!” They both shouted happily! They all sat down at the table Amy and Stefan had been sitting at. “These are my cousins, they started their journey today too.” Kalib explained to Daniel. “I met Daniel in Huftville Forest when he ran into a bit of trouble.” Kalib then explained to Amy and Stefan. The duo exchanged greetings with Daniel which he reciprocated.

“So which Pokemon did each of you choose for your first Pokemon?” Kalib asked his cousins. Amy said “I chose Poochyena, and Stefan chose Machop. But we’ve both caught Pokemon on our way here! I caught a Wurmple in the Forest.” Amy said happily. Daniel showed his approval explaining he also had a Wurmple. “And I caught a Pineco and a Lotad.” Stefan continued. Kalib felt even happier at the fact he had more Pokemon than Stefan. The two had always been very competitive.

“I chose Ralts, caught a Spinarak and Shroomish and an elderly lady called Mildred gave me an Elekid for beating her in a battle!” Kalib remarked excitedly. His cousins looked impressed that after only a day of travelling Kalib already had 4 Pokemon. “She also had a Magby but a red haired girl stole it.” Daniel went on. “Oh no that’s terrible!” The twins exclaimed in almost perfect unison. Daniel nodded his agreement. “She also told us all about Pokemon Coordinators and Pokemon Contests.” Daniel and Kalib relayed the information Mildred had given them.

“Wow that sounds so cool! I think I might be a Coordinator as well as a Trainer!” Amy announced. Stefan agreed and said he was going to try and do the same. Kalib would be lying if he said he hadn’t thought about it too.

“There’s a Contest in a week in Fladburgh City.” Daniel stated. “We’re going to meet Mildred’s granddaughter, Emma, at the Contest, she’s a Coordinator you see.” The twins both looked excited at the prospect of observing the Contest and gaining some more insight before competing themselves. “That’s great! Then we can speak to Emma and ask her about how to train for contests.” Amy said with enthusiasm.

“But first”, Kalib said, “we’re heading to Satford City, I’m going to challenge the Gym there and that’s where Daniel has all of his Pokemon stored.” Daniel nodded showing the truth to what Kalib was saying. “Yeah my Pokemon are stored at my uncle’s lab. He’s Professor Maple, the Pokemon Professor of Decoh. He actually gives new trainers the choice between 3 starter Pokemon, like Lucy did for you three. The starter Pokemon differ from region to region, but in Decoh there’s Charmander, Chickorita and Piplup.” Daniel explained.

“Oh, I wonder why Lucy gave us a Pokemon each instead of telling us to see Professor Maple.” Amy said inquisitively. Kalib struggled to come up with a definite answer, “it was probably so the Pokemon were more personal to us.”

“So Daniel, if your Pokemon are in Satford does that mean you’ve already challenged the Gym there?” Stefan asked.

“Yeah I have.” Daniel answered. He pulled out a badge case from the inside pocket of his jacket. “This is the badge you win if you beat the Gym leader.” Daniel said pointing to the first badge in the case.

“Can you tell us what kind of Pokemon the Gym leader uses?” Stefan asked cheekily. Everyone began to laugh. Once everyone stopped laughing Daniel answered his question. “The Gym leader is Charlie, and he uses electric type Pokemon. When I battled him it was a 2 on 2 battle, and I went up against a Magnemite and an Electrike.” Daniel said.

“Electric type eh?” Stefan echoed Daniel. Kalib was unsure what Pokemon he should use for the battle. “Machop should fare ok then.” Stefan proclaimed smugly.

“I’ll have a lot of training to do then, neither Dark types or Bug types have an advantage against Electric type Pokemon.” Amy said not very eagerly.

“It just means you have to plan your strategy more, and rely on type match ups less.” Kalib told his cousin. “Yeah I guess you’re right Kalib, but that in itself will need some planning.” Amy replied still not sounding very confident. “Don’t worry sis, we’ll help you, won’t we guys.” Stefan said looking for the others approval. “Of course!” The boys chimed together. Amy looked much happier with the prospect of help from other trainers. “Thanks everyone!” Amy said joyfully.

They all finished their dinner and headed back down the hall to the bedrooms. Kalib wished good night to his cousins, and Daniel said good night to them too. Kalib and Daniel went into their room, and got ready for a bed. Kalib was exhausted. What a day it had been. And he knew tomorrow would be just as good, especially now his cousins were here too. “Goodnight.” Kalib said to Daniel, who said the same back to him. Kalib couldn’t wait for tomorrow, he felt like a child on Christmas Eve.