Surprise Attack

"Let me at least see it." Dagur begged as he tried turing Ash's face towards him to see how the slap mark was looking. Before Savage had thrown her into a cell, Ash had given him a good kick to the shin and head butted a guard but all it got her was another slap, a little harder than the last, and a punch to the gut.

"Next time I'll start chopping off your fingers!" Savage had threatened as he kicked her and Dagur into a cell, locked the door and left the two of them huddled in the darkness.

"It's nothing bad, I swear." Ash promised as he was examining the slap and rubbed her sore stomach.

"I should have know, I should have known..." Dagur murmured as he stood up and braced himself against the cell door. "How could I have been so stupid? I should have listened to you!"

"Don't blame yourself, you couldn't have known." Ash said, walking over to him and placing a hand on his shoulder. "Don't worry, the others will be back with the dragons."

"That's the problem, they possibly have the stables locked up and none of the dragons can even get close to the village without going crazy!" Dagur pointed out and shook his head before going over to the bench. "I'm going to try and meditate to calm myself down."

Ash just shrugged and laid herself down on a pile of straw that acted as a bed and closed her eyes. She tried to sleep, but with Dagur's meditation humming and the guards constantly smacking the cell doors to shut him up, sleep was pretty much impossible at the moment.

"Dagur would you please keep it down?" Ash asked loudly.

"I'm trying to concentrate on being calm."

"Well you can be calm next to me." Ash said as his eyes opened and patted the space next to her. "I feel lonely."

Dagur gave a sigh and got off the bench before he laid himself down next to her on the straw and wrapped his arm around Ash's waist while she laid her head on his shoulder.

"When we get out of this I'm going to lock us in my room." Dagur muttered as he used his free hand to play with one of Ash's braids.

"And do what?" Ash asked. Dagur just shrugged and continued playing with the braid. "You do realize that if we can't get out of here and get rid of Savage, we won't be able to even do anything. Knowing him, he'll probably execute us."

"Or he'll execute me and Heather and marry you."

"Excuse me?"

"Well you're a princess, he'll possibly marry you just to get your crown."

"I'll dismember him if he even tries touching me."

Dagur gave a small chuckle and looked down at her. "This is why I like you, people in your country ought to have more queens or wives of lords who are like you."

"Believe me, we had many queens and wives of good lords who were tough as nails. Several women of my mother's line were warriors long ago. They fought on the backs of dragons." Ash said, returning the smile. "If you ever read the old history books, Targaryens always used male dragons to ride and fight with. Do you know why?"

"Females were too scarce? Or they didn't want to loose a good female who's had a good brood of eggs?" Dagur suggested and Ash shook her head.

"The females were vicious, untamable and very territorial. But yes, they were also needed to breed. The last dragons before my mother's only grew to the size of Terrible Terrors and eventually died out. Eggs remained but they no longer carried any life in them."

"Until your mother came along and used the life of a witch to bring them to life." Dagur said, remembering the story Ash had told him a few days ago. Ever since he found out where she came from and what she really was, he had always found the stories of her homeland quiet fascinating- especially the Targaryen family history. He wasn't so impressed with the idea that brother and sisters would marry, but according to her that was the only way to keep their bloodline pure and it was very rare for one to marry someone outside of the family.