13

Luc hit the ground hard, and before any of us could do anything, Elliot had picked up the gun. He pulled a bullet from his pocket and began to load it, then aimed it right towards him.

"Luc run!" I screeched as Caleb and Bradley yanked on Elliot's arms. Luc scrambled to his feet and began sprinting up the hill as quickly as he could, ducking his head.

Elliot shoved his sons off and pushed the gun back into position. He bounced a bit as he pulled the trigger, but luckily Luc was out of range. The bullet dove into the snow right behind his heels, as he disappeared behind the wall of white.

Bradley and Caleb slowly got up, easing their way over to me. I pulled Caleb behind me, not letting go of his hand. Bradley held his arm firmly in front of me, protecting us from the creature we call 'Dad'.

Elliot dropped the gun by his side and turned to face us, his eyes examining us and searching for Caleb. He moved his mouth trying to talk, but no words came out. "I'm sorry. I'm just trying to protect you." He sighed, facing down.

"Monster." I whispered, causing him to look up. "You tried to kill him!" I cried.

"I did what I had to do to protect you! Can't you see that?" He hissed back.

"What happened to Richard, huh? Tell us dad!" I yelped. I saw the anger wall up inside of him and slowly rise until it infected his brain.

"You bitch!" He shouted, lunging forward. I was prepared for impact at any moment, but it never came.

"Don't speak to her like that!" Bradley jumped to my defense, stepping between me and Elliot. Elliot snorted and hiked the gun back under his armpit.

"Get back to the cabin." He mumbled, pointing behind us. At first none of us moved, then Elliot pulled the gun on us. "I said get back to the cabin!" His voice was shrill and full of madness.

Caleb and Bradley turned and began running immediately afterwards, but I let them run past me so I could get my last word in. Elliot looked at me with a confused expression, still holding the gun at my face.

"Murderer." I mumbled, staring straight down the barrel. Elliot bit his lip, restraining himself from letting loose.

"Belle what are you doing?" Bradley chirped, grabbing my hand. He dragged me along, not letting go. I eventually calmed down and began running alongside the two boys. As we made it to the cabin, we could hear a cry of agony come from Elliot back in the woods.

We stammered through the door, then into the bedroom and then Caleb and I stared out the windowsill. It was getting dark out, and you could just make out Elliot's silhouette dragging the deer away. Bradley pulled my shoulder and turned me around so I was face to face with him.

"What are you, trying to get killed?!" He blurted out.

"I'm sorry, he just frustrates me!" I replied. Then I leaned close to his ear and whispered, "I know he did something to Richard." I made sure Caleb wouldn't hear, because he was already freaking out and knowing that his father was a murderer wouldn't help.

I tried to squirm away and look out the window again, but Bradley got ahold of my hands and held me by him. Our eyes met, his full of determination, mine full of fear and hatred. Then his look softened as he glanced down at the rest of my face.

"I don't want to lose you." He admitted. I was taken back at first by the boy who stood before me. I took a deep sigh and pulled him into a deep hug.

"That won't happen in a million years." I joked as he squeezed my middle. I felt his body bounce as he laughed, and his heartbeat quicken as he looked out the window.