11

"Elliot, you ok?" I asked, standing from the bed. His eyes fluttered upwards as if he had been lifted from a trance.

"Yeah yeah, I'm fine. Hey where did you learn french?" He quickly changed the subject as he turned to Bradley up against the door.

"School." He replied simply, shrugging his shoulders.

"I hate french class." Caleb added, crossing his arms.

"You don't hate it you're just not good at it." Bradley teased.

"That's not true, you're just saying that because--" The two of them began fighting again as Elliot tried to break them up. I found myself laughing at them, man were they immature.

"Soyez silencieux!" I ordered in French. Bradley stopped talking immediately, but Caleb dragged on for a little while longer, he clearly hadn't understood. "That means be quiet."

"Oh. Sorry." Caleb mumbled, hanging his head a bit.

"Enough of this french stuff. Listen, I've got a few rules you guys need to follow if you want me to keep us safe." Elliot beamed. Bradley made his way back over to his bed and sat down. I followed and sat back down next to Caleb.

"First rule, Belle." He glanced over at me which made my heart stop. He cracked his knuckles which made me feel even more uneasy, then folded his arms. "I need you to call me dad. If they know you're not my daughter, they-they're gonna try to take you away from us. You don't want to leave your brothers, do you?"

I turned to look at Bradley and Caleb, Bradley still looked as sick as a dog. I knew I couldn't leave him here with just his dad and Caleb. Speaking of the little stinker, Caleb was literally trembling besides me. He was so scared right now that he couldn't even control his own body. As much as I hated Elliot and this dumb rule, I loved those boys too much to leave them.

"Whatever you say dad." The word tasted like poison on my tongue. Caleb rubbed my arm and smiled at me, he seemed a little less scared now that he knew I was staying. I looked over at Bradley and saw him smiling as well, him and I had kind of grown on each other. If I had to be trapped in a cabin out in the middle of nowhere with somebody, I'm glad it was him.

I looked back up at Elliot who had a satisfied grin on his face. "Thank you." He snarled, leaning against the door. "Now for you two." He pointed two fingers at Bradley and Caleb, making air circles to trace their faces. "Don't ever leave this cabin, unless I tell you to. Understood?"

"Understood." They said in unison. Elliot smirked triumphantly. Surely that had been easier than he had imagined in his head. He opened the bedroom door and started crawling out to the living room.

"Goodnight, and don't forget, I love you guys." He winked and then slipped out of the room. Bradley turned to face me and Caleb, then rolled his eyes.

"I guess we're going to sleep." He sighed.

"I guess so." I chuckled, laying down. I placed the blanket over me and Caleb, but let him take the majority of it. I turned on my side so that I could see Bradley. He was staring right back at me, adjusting himself to reach the lantern.

"Goodnight." Caleb yawned. Bradley and I both replied, but we didn't break eye contact. He opened the door of the lantern and drew in a breath, ready to blow it out. But before he did, he mouthed a few words to me.

'We're going to get out of here.' I could just make out what he was saying before he flicked the lights off with one puff. I was able to sleep in peace that night, knowing Bradley would take care of us.

The last thing I heard before I fell into a deep sleep was a light snore from Bradley, and a deep breath from Caleb.

•••

The next morning we were woken up by the slamming of a door, most likely the front. Caleb was able to fall right back asleep afterwards, but Bradley and I were wide awake. He was the first to shuffle out of bed, picking up the knife his dad had given him and placing it in his pocket.

I did my best not to wake Caleb as I made my way out from under the covers. Before I left the bed, I wrapped the rest of the blankets around Caleb's body and watched as he snuggled himself up more.

I saw Bradley rub his hands over his arms and another cough raked his throat. "I feel like shit." He stated, shivering in his place. I walked up to him and placed my lips on his forehead to take his temperature.

When I backed away, he looked confused. Like nobody had ever taken his temperature that way. "What?" I giggled staring at his face. His forehead had definitely felt a lot warmer than it was supposed to be, he had a fever for sure.

"What was that for?" He asked, trying to hide his reddening cheeks.

"I'm seeing if you have a fever. My hands are too cold to feel your real temperature, so I did what my dad always does. Did it bug you?"

"No not at all. I actually didn't mind." He corrected. I blushed a bit, rubbing my hands together to make a little warmth. We stood there a bit awkwardly, I was surprised by how much closer Bradley and I had become. But knowing that there was something between us, meant that I didn't want him to die. So I had to bring him near something warm.

"As sweet as this is, I think we need to get you to the fire." I sighed. He nodded his head and smiled, a bit embarrassed. I cracked open the door and peered my head through to see if there was anybody out there. "Coast is clear."

I opened the door wider and let Bradley pass by me. He made his way into the living room and sat down in the same chair he had been in yesterday. I picked up another blanket that had been heated by the fire overnight, and laid it atop of him.

"Thanks Belle." He sighed, ducking his chin inside the blanket. "Could you pass me another please?" I tossed another onto his lap as he wrapped that one around the back of his neck and his ears. I sat down on the couch Caleb had pulled up last night, and watched as Bradley's eyes slowly closed until he was asleep again.

"Unbelievable." I joked watching his head slump to the side and lean against his shoulder. I remembered my journal and pulled it out of my pocket, then clicked the pen and began scribbling.

Belle's Diary ~

Elliot's crazy, he wants me to call him 'dad'. He even used Bradley and Caleb to make sure that I did so. I can't wait to get out of this place, and neither can the boys. Last night, Bradley assured me that we were going to leave, so I know everything will turn out alright-- I hope.

But y'know, Bradley is the weirdest thing. At the beginning of this trip, I was one of the last people he wanted to be with (second to Elliot of course). But now it seems like he had almost grown - feelings for me. And yes, I know it sounds crazy but......

I think I've grown feelings for him, too.

A/N
1.02k reads, I love you guys so much <3