04

"Oh my god! Bradley, are you ok?" I dropped down next to him as he slowly stood up. I tried to help him but he shook my hand off and started walking away.

"Now we know this isn't a toy, right?" Elliot glared at all of us.

He started taunting Bradley about, accusing him of being a baby.

"What are you, just gonna go off and cry about it? Quit being a baby." He insulted.

Bradley kept walking farther and farther as he stretched out his shoulder, his father still teasing. Finally, he had had enough and let the words escape his lips.

"Can you just give me a minute, please?" He yelled. We were all taken back by his sudden outburst, but out of nowhere, a snowball was launched at my face. It crumbled, but still managed to freeze my nose. The boys had broken into a snowball fight, and I wanted to join.

I balled up the snow with my gloves and flung it hard at Caleb's side. He laughed, then started digging up snow and throwing it at his dad. We all teamed up on him, and he knew it. Elliot made one really big snowball and started running towards Bradley.

At first I thought it was going to be funny, but then I remembered how short-tempered Bradley could be. As Elliot got closer, Bradley tried to squirrel away, but he had no where to go and resorted to throwing handfuls of snow as fast as his could.

Elliot made his way over to Bradley and smashed the freezing ball over his son's head. I saw as it exploded and dripped all the way down his back. From his facial expression I could see the white snow on his bare skin was very cold.

"Winner! Winner!" Elliot chanted running around the car and laughing. But Bradley didn't seem too happy. He made his way to the back door and it looked like he was done for the day. Caleb walked up to him to change his decision, but Bradley quickly shoved him off and slipped into the car.

Caleb and I peered through the window as Bradley tried his best to rid the snow from his sweater.

"Do you want my coat?" Caleb offered. Bradley ignore him and continued shaking his hood. Caleb walked over to his dad and picked up the gun. "My turn." I heard him say.

But I was still at the window, looking at Bradley. He pulled out a book and started to read, pretending that he didn't notice I was there. I knocked on the window and motioned for him to roll it down. Hesitantly, he did.

"What?" He asked grumpily.

"Brad, you know your dad is trying his best with you. Can't you just give him a break?" I tried to convince him to come back out of the car.

"Belle, he just gets on my nerves sometimes. You don't understand what it's like being his son, so just stay out of it if you can." He ordered.

"Oh c'mon, you're just being stubborn. You're never like this with my dad, and you guys aren't even related. We're not even technically related. Give him a chance, will ya?" I argued. Bradley folded his book and put it down beside him. He folded his hands in his lap and looked up at me. Moving the hair from his eyes, he began to speak.

"I'll think about it." Then he rolled the window back up, smiling as he did it. I scoffed and stayed until it was fully closed. He shooed me away and then returned to his book. So I joined Caleb and Elliot in the middle of their lesson.

"Any luck with him?" Elliot asked.

"No. He's a bit stubborn, but he'll get over it soon." I reassured.

"Oh, okay." He sighed.

"Hey Belle!" Caleb jumped in. "Do you think I could hit that beer can down there?" He asked pointing to a can standing on a log.

"Yes, I do but please be careful. I don't want you to get hurt, too." I chuckled motioning back to the car where Bradley sat. He laughed, then took his stance.

He loaded the rifle and then aimed for the can. He seemed very focused, and even exhaled a deep breath before pulling the trigger. A loud noise was exerted when the bullet left the gun, then again when it crashed into the aluminum.

Caleb smiled at me and handed the gun back to his father. I gave him a huge high five and then hugged him, feeling like a proud mother. He then hugged Elliot and turned back towards the car.

"Brad I hit it!" He screamed. No response. "BRADLEY!" He yelled again. This time, you could just make out the faint silhouette of Bradley giving him a thumbs up. Caleb drooped his shoulders at the lack of support from his brother.

"Don't worry about it, kid. I'll try talking to him again and then he'll celebrate with us. Good?" I said trying to cheer him up.

"Good." He nodded. I walked back towards the car and opened the door on the other side of Bradley. I slid in and then shut the door behind me. The car was slightly warmer than outside, and I was very thankful for it. It had gotten very cold out without us realizing. Maybe we should head home before it gets dark out, but first I need to talk to Bradley.

"Hey Bradley, I know you don't want to talk to me but maybe you can just listen. At least?" I rubbed my hands together creating a bit of friction and warmth.

"Yeah fine, I'm bored anyway." He said putting the book down.

"Ok. I know you're having a few issues with your dad, but you're taking it out on Caleb too and thats not fair. Bradley your brother looks up to you and he tries to be good at everything to impress you. He hit the target out there on his first try, and all he got from you was a meager thumbs up. You can do better than that Bradley. So just come out and be there for your brother at least?" I ranted.

Bradley raised his eyebrows on me, but he was clever enough to know that I was trying to pull the guilt card on him. He chuckled to himself and began reaching for his book, but I grabbed his hand before he got it. I trapped it with my two hands and felt the heat being expelled between us.

"Do it for me?" I asked, puppy dog-eyes and all. Bradley rolled his eyes, and then breathed deep. He put his other hand on top of mine, then smiled.

"Fine." He freed the hand that I had been holding, then popped open the door. I did the same and walked over to the group triumphantly, winking at Caleb. "Can we go, I need to pee." Were the first words that came out of Bradley's mouth. My jaw dropped in disappointment.

"Go write your name in the snow, the whole world is your toilet." Elliot joked. Bradley shook his head disapprovingly and then walked behind a big stack of trees.

"Hey Belle, you want a turn?" Elliot extended the gun towards me, but I politely pushed it away. As excited as I had been before, something about him still gave me the creeps, especially holding that gun.

"No thank you Elliot. I prefer to watch, I've never been very interested in shooting things. I guess it's more of a guy thing." I got Elliot to laugh, and he pulled the gun away. Bradley returned from his business, zipping up his jeans and buttoning the top.

"Just hit the target once, and then we can go." Elliot bribed Bradley as he returned. Bradley nodded agreeing to the deal. "Alright Caleb, show him how it's done." Caleb happily took the gun and began showing Bradley what to do.

"Alright so basically, you just need to widen your stance a little bit and then mash the gun into the soft part of your shoulder." Caleb demonstrated everything and aimed for another can of beer. I guess Elliot had had another drink.

"Sh sh!" I heard Elliot shush us as he motioned towards something hopping along the trees. He smiled as we all saw it. A little white bunny was peacefully making it's way towards the beer can. The place where Caleb was about to shoot.

But that's when I realized, Caleb wasn't aiming for the can anymore.