05

"Caleb Don--" Bradley tried to say, but he was interrupted by the loud bang of the rifle. The bullet had passed right through the poor rabbit, as it lay there struggling.

"Haha alright! Nice shot!" Elliot encouraged as he grabbed the gun from Caleb's hands. He walked over to the rabbit and smashed it's neck with the bottom of the gun. He continued to pick it up and walk back towards us.

Caleb was clearly holding back tears, and I had found myself curled into Bradley's chest for comfort. With Bradley's arms wrapped around me, and his chin propped on the top of my head I felt safe for a few brief, yet wonderful, seconds. With the rabbit still dangling from his hands, Elliot smiled. But that smile soon turned into a frown as he saw the look on all of our faces.

"What? Was I just supposed to let him suffer?" He semi-shouted. "What did you think was gonna happen?"

"I-I didn't think I'd hit it." Caleb replied weakly. Elliot looked down at the rabbit, then back up at us and sighed.

"Let's just go home." We all eerily turned around. I was still holding onto Bradley because now my fear of his father had nearly doubled in size. Suddenly, he stopped and turned back to look at his dad. Elliot was chugging the last of his beer can. It must've been at least his third one this hour.

"Go sit in the back with Caleb, make sure he's ok. I've got something to take care of." He said removing his arms from my waist.

"Ok. Just be careful." I croaked. He nodded and then walked towards his father who had just thrown the rabbit aside, along with the beer can. I scooted into the back behind the passenger seat and drew Caleb in for a big hug.

"I didn't want to hurt the poor thing. I just want to leave now. When is Mom and Ted coming back?" He asked, tears forming in his big eyes.

"Don't know kiddo. But we'll be home sooner than you know it. Bradley and I will take care of ya." I reassured letting go of the hug. Our attention was shifted to Bradley and Elliot's conversation in front of the car.

"You've been drinking." Bradley stated confidently.

"So what? I'm alright." Elliot replied clearly not alright.

"No dad, I don't think it's the best idea for you to be driving drunk with three kids YOU'RE responsible for sitting in the back seats." Bradley replied, pointing a harsh finger back at us. Elliot looked in our direction, but Caleb and I both pretended we hadn't been eavesdropping and turned our heads in opposite direction.

"Fine." He pulled the keys from his pocket and hovered them in Bradley's face. "You drive." Bradley lifted his hand and Elliot dropped the keys into his palm. Caleb and I sat back, immediately buckling our seat belts. 'Uh oh' I mouthed jokingly towards him, earning a slight giggle.

Elliot made the car rock as he clumsily fell into the passengers seat in front of me. Bradley had really composed himself and got ready to head out on the road. He started the car and we were off. Bradley successfully pulled out of the lot and drove down the road for a while, Elliot showering little tips in here and there.

"If you want to hit the brakes don't step on it, slowly push it. This is ice, you'll slide right off." He said as Bradley nodded, just like he had done at every other instruction.

"You drive like a grandma." Caleb insulted.

"Shh Caleb! Don't distract him." I whisper-scolded. He rolled his eyes and ignored my comment. "Can I drive?"

"No way, you wouldn't be able to see over the steering wheel." Bradley teased, clearly making Caleb upset. Out of instinct, Caleb hit Bradley's arm and distracted him for half a second. Luckily, Elliot was able to bring their attention back to the road.