Dresses and Suits

Start from the beginning

"Don't be too hard on Doug, XJ. People here have heard of what you do on the Isle, only it's exaggerated by a lot." Evie interjected as she kept drawing a sketch for XJ's dress.

"Hmph," XJ said, sounding impressed with herself. "So my reputation's stretched all the way to Auradon. I'm proud of myself." She turned to Doug, who flinched like he was bracing for an attack. "What did you hear about me?"

"I, uh," Doug gulped, "I heard that you killed half of the Isle's original population."

XJ snorted, "That's stupid. I don't benefit from that at all."

"So you've never killed anyone?" Doug asked, surprised.

XJ scoffed, "No, I stabbed someone eighty times - yes, I've never killed anybody. It's messy and unnecessary and I'd rather have people work for me than die on me."

Doug blinked, "Not because it's wrong?"

XJ said dismissively, "Oh sure, if you want to think that way."

"That's not...reassuring..." Doug trailed off, his eyes even wider than before.

"Don't scare my boyfriend, XJ." Evie stated before straightening up. She held up the piece of paper and grinned, "There we go," She walked back to XJ and handed the sketch to her. "The shaded bits are in black and the blank bits are gold." Evie informed.

The dress that Evie had made for her wasn't too long, but it didn't seem too short either. It covered her legs, but it wasn't enough for her to trip over. Most of the dress was black, but there was a golden dragon snaking around her and the head of the dragon was displayed on her chest. There were two long sashes that connected to the middle of the top of the dress that were going to tie around her neck at the back to hold up the dress.

To XJ's surprise, she found that the dress wasn't half-bad. It was simple, and she loved the dragon.

Evie caught the slightly impressed look on XJ's face and asked, smiling, "Do you like it?"

XJ handed the sketch back to Evie, smiling a little bit as well, "I'm surprised to say that I do."

"Good," Evie nodded, her smile spreading wider. "I thought you would."

"When is it going to be done?"

"Well, the party is in," Evie glanced at her calendar before answering, "Three months - you, Uma, Gil and Harry all came very late to Auradon - so the dress-fitting will be around one month from now and the final touches will be made another month from then." She announced professionally. "I'll update you on how it's going."

XJ nodded, "How much am I going to have to pay you?"

Doug typed some numbers into a calculator next to him and said, glancing at XJ briefly, wary to make eye contact, "A hundred and fifty bucks should do it. It's much cheaper than other companies that do custom-made dresses."

"Alright, hold on one second," XJ said as she walked to her bag that was hanging on a coat rack. She pulled put her wallet and counted the notes. "Here you go." XJ put the money on the desk next to Doug. The son of Dopey jumped and XJ frowned. She hadn't slammed her hand down on the table...at least she didn't think she had.

She turned around and nodded to Evie, "Thanks."

Evie smiled, "At least you know how to play nice. You're welcome. I'll see you around, XJ. I'll also try to get Mal to back off."

XJ sighed as she shouldered her bag, "She'll run out of fuel eventually. I'll see you around too." XJ opened the door of Doug's dorm and walked back to her dorm.