Ending #1 (Part 1)

Skylar and Gerard finished the rest of their vacation, but there was something eating away at Skylar. Something she couldn't deny.

Unfortunately, Sky did what she did best, and she pushed it aside and put on a brave face for Gerard. After all, if she didn't know what was bothering her, it couldn't be a big deal, right?

The rest of the trip was fine. Skylar really had nothing to complain about, but she still felt as if she was just going through the motions. Whatever had been bothering her continued to eat away at her long after the "romantic" vacation was over.

Upon their return to California, Gerard noticed that there was something wrong with Sky, but he chose not to pry. He figured she'd tell him what was wrong eventually. He waited it out and hoped and prayed that she'd be back to her old self again soon.

Only, it wasn't soon. Weeks and then months passed and Skylar still wasn't acting like herself. Her and Gerard pretended everything was normal. They went through the motions just as they had before the trip. They kissed, they cuddled, they did everything together. They were completely inseparable. From an outsider's perspective, nothing had changed at all. In fact, their relationship seemed even better than it had before they went to New Jersey. But on the inside, it was dying and that terrified Gerard and Skylar to no end.

Soon enough, Skylar's distance began to eat away at Gerard. The stress was becoming too much for him, and he began to go down a path he didn't like. He was cold, distant and angry.

With both Skylar and Gerard going through the motions of a happy couple, their relationship began to fizzle out. The honeymoon phase was over, and there was no denying it. Their little differences that once seemed so small and insignificant now drove them insane. From Gerard forgetting to put his dirty mugs in the sink, or getting paint on the kitchen floor, to Skylar's bad habit of sleeping too late and being lazy, tensions ran high in the Way/Brooks household. Even the smallest disagreements began to spiral out into large arguments.

Those closest to Skylar and Gerard began to crack the code much sooner than the "happy couple" had expected. Within just two months, Denise had talked Skylar into seeing a therapist to work out whatever was eating away at her and suddenly making her relationship with Gerard so difficult. Skylar was pessimistic, but she agreed anyway. She was desperate to try to fix her relationship.

Therapy was hard for Skylar. She wasn't used to being open with her emotions. She spent every session going on about her parents and all of the hardships she had faced in her relationship with Gerard. The hardships that, as Skylar was now beginning to realize, largely outnumbered the good times.

In the end, Sky's many hours spent in therapy really only told her one thing.

She now knew what she had to do.

"I can't do this anymore," Sky suddenly blurted as Gerard pulled her closer on the couch as the opening sequence to their shared favorite show played -- another cheap attempt to pretend that their relationship was going fine.

"Can't do what?" Gerard asked, swallowing the lump in his throat. He knew this was coming, he just didn't know it would be so soon.

"This. Us. It's not good for us, Gerard. I-I'm sorry," Sky blurted, removing herself from Gerard's arms.

Gerard wanted to argue. He wanted to break down and hold her and beg her to stay with him, but, deep down, he knew she was right. He could see it in her face. Skylar didn't just look physically tired anymore. He could see the complete and utter emotional exhaustion in her face. He had to let her go. He was killing her. He couldn't bring himself to fight anymore. All he could do was nod. This relationship was terrible for both of them and the last few months had proven that.

It wasn't all Gerard's fault, and they both knew this. Throughout their time together, Skylar and Gerard had both become people they didn't want to be. Their relationship was toxic, and they were equally to blame. There was no way around it. They had to end it before they caused each other more pain than they already had.

As Gerard helped Skylar pack her belongings, they attempted to divide up the things that had been purchased when they were together, but Skylar ended up leaving nearly all of it to Gerard. After all, he paid for everything. He always did.

It only took a few days for Skylar to pack up all of her belongings, and then everything became real. This was it. Their time together, as bittersweet and, at times, ugly as it was, was over. Skylar was moving out. Everything they had worked for was gone. Gerard finally felt the pain in his chest that he had been avoiding throughout the entire process of packing. This was really happening.

As Gerard carried the last box out into Denise's car, he turned to Skylar. She held her arms out for a hug and he happily obliged.

"Thank you for everything," she started. "I had an amazing time."

Gerard and Skylar were both crying now. They continued to hug as they both silently cried in each other's arms for the last time. This was killing both of them, but they still knew it was the right thing to do. It was the only way they could heal.

"Me too. And, no, thank you. You gave me love when I really didn't deserve it. So, thank you, Skylar," he said, and then he paused. "I hope you truly find happiness someday."

He let go of her and she flashed him one last sad smile as she wiped the tears from her eyes. "I hope you do too. You deserve it."

"Goodbye, Skylar."

"Goodbye, Gerard."

And with that, Skylar climbed into Denise's car and waved at Gerard one last time as they drove off to Frank's apartment -- Skylar's home once again.

~

I'm aware this chapter is kind of weirdly fast-moving and probably poorly written. I had a lot I wanted to say and I didn't have the inspiration to make it take as long as it probably should have, so I just made it all move fast. Oh well. Hope you enjoyed it anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯