"Why?" I asked.

"To keep us from rejecting each other."

"But you rejected me. How come we were separate for over a month, and nothing happen, but we're separate for six days and we become ill?"

"I think it's because you're human."

"Care to elaborate?" I asked sharply, getting defensive.

"It's nothing bad. Just our bond wasn't strong enough until we completed one of the steps of the mating process," he explained.

"So the human thing is why I look like I'm about ready to pass out, and you only look like you're under the weather?" I asked.

"Yup."

"Ugh, I hate being a stupid weak human!"

Jace started laughing.

"So is that why I feel much better, now that I'm with you?" I asked.

"Yeah. After being together for a while we'll feel as good as new."

We reached our destination, Dairy Queen. Jace was pulling up to the drive through.

"Welcome to Dairy Queen. What would you like today?"

"Mint Chocolate Chip Blizzard, and a Cookies and Cream Blizzard," Jace ordered.

I tuned out everything after that, as I looked at Jace in shock. We drove up to pay, and Jace looked over at me.

"What?" he asked.

"How did you know that's my favorite?" I asked.

"You were eating it that day I met you in the park. You were walking with this red headed girl."

"You remembered?" I asked.

"Yeah."

He got our Blizzards, and handed me mine. Then he parked at one of the spots in the far corner of the parking lot. We continued to chat for a while about how studying was going, what we were expecting to get on our finals, what we planned for the summer. Eventually it turned into a slightly sadder conversation.

"What do you want your future to be like?" Jace asked me.

I stared at him in shock, not expecting that question. I never really thought about it, because I knew what I wanted would never happen.

"What I want, or what it will be?" I asked.

"Want."

I looked down at my Blizzard, stirring it around a bit.

"I'd want to be with you. To get married, have kids, grow old together..." I trailed off, staring down at my Blizzard more intensely.

My stomach felt like it was full of lead, as I let my thoughts drift off.

"Jace, who are we kidding? Why are we doing this?" I asked.

"Doing what?" Jace asked.

"Seeing each other when nobody else knows. It's not going to last. Eventually you will be forced to get married to someone else so you can become alpha. You can't tell your father that you already have a mate, because then he will kill me. So why are we seeing each other, if we are only going to cause ourselves more pain when we have to get a reality check?" I asked.

Suddenly I heard the car door slam open. I looked over, and saw Jace rushing out toward the alley right by our parked car. I stared in confusion for a few seconds, before coming to my senses. I got out of the car and quickly followed after.