Entry 5

(Just a heads up there is some cussing/ swearing in this as I wanted to show how scared the students would be. As they are 18, they would most likely use this type of language.)

"Mina? Mina?" Ki (Mina's brother) calls, treading carefully down the hall containing mixed emotions. Mina sits up in relief.
"Ki!" She makes space for him to lie in between us. "Thank god you're safe." She sighs. This is why she was so worried.
"They were shouting at us. Telling is to sit still and stay where we were. But I legged it. If we don't get out, I want to at least want to attempt to survive instead of just doing what a selfish  fu*k tells me to do." He complains.
"Who told you that?" I question.
"The crew members." He replies, looking at me with a strange expression.

Mina and I have known each other since we were three so I'm quite close to Ki as well. Hence why it's not awkward to be so close to him.

"I texted mum." Ki says, grabbing his phone.
"Sh*t, I should do that too." I grab my phone form my pocket and open up her contact. I start to text.

To: Eomma ♥

Hey mum. Don't know whether you've heard. The ship is sinking. I don't know if you will get this but if I don't make it, I love you. Thank you for being a wonderful mother.

I turn my phone off and wait for it to send.

"What did you say? Can you read out the texts?" Mina rushes.
"Okay." Ki says, opening up the texts. "Hey mum. The ship we are on is capsizing. I don't know why as they haven't said. We've been given life jackets and we have been told to sit still. I'm on my bed right now but I need to go and see Mina. I don't think you'll get this as the service is terrible but I love you. So does Mina. Don't forget that. Even if we leave you to go to the heavens, we will never leave your heart. I promise you tho, I will try to live." That's all he says.

"Did she reply?" Mina snatches the phone off of him.

"No. The service is sh*t. I'm just hoping it will work better up here."

🌊

It's 8:28. The wall has almost reached the point to become the floor. People are starting to panic. I hear a baby crying along with some of our classmates. The laughter has died down. All we can do is pray.

⭐️

The toilet water has flooded the other side of the hall and most of the crew members have disappeared. The wall has swapped positions with the floor and the tables and chairs have scattered across the wall.

"Hey. I don't think they are coming to get us." Ki mumbles. I pull out my phone and start recording.

"I'm Jeong Byeol, one of the many high school students on the sinking Sewol Ferry. If anyone finds this message, mum and dad, I love you. Don't ever forget me and take care of Chin-Hae and stay healthy. I will always be with you." I begin to tear up.
"Chin-Hae... ever since you went to the army, we haven't talked much. But, if I don't see you ever again. I wish we could of spent more time together. Keep working hard and don't forget me." I turn the phone away, wipe away the tears and speak once more. "If I'm not with you, I promise I tried my hardest to survive. I love you all so much and please live healthy lives for me if I don't make it. Goodbye." I pass the phone to Ki and Mina.

"I don't know what to say." Ki begins.

"Mum, I've always really liked your Bibimgap. Oh, and my favourite memory is when we went on a hike over those really high mountains and when we got to the top you couldn't see anything because of all the fog so you walked back down the mountain in a sulk and slipped." Ki chuckles.

"I'll miss those funny things you do. Just know that if I don't make it out alive, I will be up with dad. I will be watching over you with Mina. Please stay healthy. Enjoy your Bibimgap! It's good!" He passes the phone to Mina who's already drowning in her tears.
"Mum, please d-don't be sad when we pass a-away. Please, cele-celebrate our lives and k-know that... we w-ill be going somewhere s-safe." Her voice trembles. "Goodbye, I l-love you."