I Knew This Would Happen Someday (Natalie's POV)

As I grabbed another magazine off of the table next to me, Libbie finally came out of the door. I smiled and stood up, then walked over to her. Meagan and I talked for a little while, making another appointment for Elizabeth in the process. After we finished talking, we said goodbye, then Meagan said she'd see us again on Tuesday.

"So, how did your session go?" I asked Elizabeth as we got into the vehicle.

"Good, actually," she said.

"That's good," I smiled.

"Want to talk about it?" I asked.

"Maybe later," she responded.

"Alright, well how about we go out for an early supper?" I asked.

"Can we go to Fazoli's?" she asked innocently.

"Whatever you want," I laughed.

As I drove off to head to Fazoli's, all was silent again. Libbie sure hasn't been talking much lately. I just wish she would talk to me about whatever is happening. I hate seeing her like this. I always want to ask her about it, but I don't want to push it and make her upset either.

"And here we are," I said as I pulled into the parking lot.

We walked inside and ordered right away. We took our seats, then waited for our food to arrive, which was only a few minutes later. We ate, occasionally talking, then ordered dessert. After we finished eating, we hopped back into the vehicle and I drove home. As we walked inside the house, I threw my purse onto the table near the front door, then Libbie cleared her throat from the living room.

"C-Can we talk about something?" she asked, looking nervous.

"Of course!" I said, not being able to help myself from smiling, then going into the living room and sitting down. "What about?"

"I, um, well, I don't know if you know or not, but I get bullied at school," Libbie started. "It's bad and really for something stupid..."

"I didn't know that," I said, feeling terrible. "Why do you get bullied?"

"Because I-I don't have a father," she said.

"Oh," I said, my heart jumping to my throat.

"I thought that maybe you could tell me who he is. Surely you must know," she said.

"Um, I-I don't know, Lib," I said.

"Why?" she asked. "He's my father."

"Some things are just better left not knowing," I said.

"Why?" she asked.

"Libbie, can we please just talk about this later?" I asked.

"Mom, you wanted me to talk to you, now I'm talking to you, and you're shutting down," she said.

"I just don't want to talk about it," I said sternly.

"Then you must have a reason as to why," she stated.

"It's nothing," I said.

"Then tell me who he is," she said.

"No," I said.

"Why are you trying to keep me from him?" she asked.

"That's not what I'm trying to do," I said.

"Oh my god, then just fucking tell me about him! Who is he, what does he do?" she said.

"Elizabeth Anne, watch your mouth," I said.

"Why do I have to try to hard?" she said.

"End of discussion," I said, getting up.

"Mom, please," she said.

"Elizabeth," I said. "no."

"Ok, why the fuck is it so hard for you to just explain to me who one person is?! Mom, is can't be that hard! I have a right to know who he is! Meagan even said so! Hell, he created me! I have the right to know who my father is!" Elizabeth shouted.

"Don't you ever shout at me again," I said, getting up and slapping her across the face.

"M-Mom," she said as she grabbed her cheek.

"Libbie, I-I'm so sorry," I said, but by the end of my sentence, she was already crying.

"Want to know something?" she asked, sniffling.

"W-What?" I asked.

She glared at me, then pulled up her sleeves. I saw the band-aids that covered her arms, then she ripped them off. She held out her arms and scars and cuts lined them. My heart dropped instantly.

"Elizabeth," I said almost in a whisper as I grabbed her wrists carefully.

"This is what not having a father has done to me," she said, a tear falling down her cheek. "Just tell me who he is."

"Elizabeth, I can't," I said.

She jerked her arms out of my grip, then ran up to her room. I didn't go after her. I'm sure she didn't want to see me, especially after I just hit her. I collapsed on the couch and cried.