Metal Machines and Nephertarie

The bedroom door opened and I threw the covers over my head. 

"Babe," I heard my mother say. "Get up, you have a M.R.I. scan today and I have things to do. C'mon."

I groaned. I hated the hospital. Everybody there was too nice.

"Do I have to go?"

She pulled the blankets off my face and opened my closet. 

"Very funny. Let's go. You're going to be late Anna. I told you I have things to do today. Don't make me beg you. Hop in the shower."

"What things?" I asked, slowly dragging myself from the comfort of my bed.

"Mmmm-hmmm," she replied distractedly as she searched through my clothing.

"I can dress myself mom. I'm not seven. So, what are we doing today?"

I stretched and wiped the sleep from my eyes.

"What do you mean what are we doing today? You have a M.R.I. scan missy and- Oooo," she pulled out a purple T-shirt with lacy fringes, "This is nice." She tossed it to me. "You can where that."

"And what?" 

"And what nothing! Jeez Anna, will you get in the shower already?"

She averted eye-contact and a slight blush rose in her cheeks.

I smiled as I made my way to the bathroom. "Dael."

She smiled back and I knew I was right. "Alright, little miss nosy. So what if it is Dael?"

"That's all real cute mom. Just leave me out of it."

"For the third time Anna, will you get in the damn shower?" she said playfully.

A laugh rose in my throat. "Okay! Okay!"

The drive to the hospital was long, like it always is. I remember the first time I went. I was thirteen years old and scared out of my wits. As soon as I got to the the scanning room and saw the big metal contraption they planned to shove me in, I broke out in tears and it took them nearly forty-five minutes to calm me down. Even though now I still don't particularly like it, I'm use to it. There's a little T.V. on the inside of it to help pass the time. But, I swear every time I'm forced to go in it, it feels like an eternity and watching the Disney Channel doesn't seem to help.

We walked towards the familiar building and a knot forms in my stomach.

Here we go again.

The fist person I see is Sandy, the receptionist. She is one of the few people here who doesn't treat me like a kicked puppy and I appreciate it. When she sees me, she beams.

"Hey, girl! I was wonderin' when you'd come and visit this neck of the woods again. Miss me?"

I crossed my arms and tried to look indifferent. "Not even a little."

She pretended to gasp and looked over to my mother.

"Ms. Nolan, you better teach this one some manners!" She turned to me. "Girl, you better get your butt over here and give me a hug right now."

I walked over and she took me in her arms and nearly squeezed me to death.

"How's it been?" she asked.

"Eh. Alright."

"Hang in there."

"I'm tryin'."

She winked at me. 

"Alrighty then," she said, resettling herself back down at her desk. "Who are you guys coming to see today? Doctor Langford?"

"Yes, ma'am," my mother replied.