Chapter 33

Thirty minutes had passed and Jessalyn had finally arrived. She felt emotion creeping in as she looked across the pond and stared at the rustic cabin that sat on the opposite side. She composed herself and climbed out of the car. It didn't take but a second to realize, she would find exactly what she was looking for. A dim candle flickered through the window and as she began the long walk on the path towards the house, she could recall every moment spent on the property. Finally, she crept onto the porch and lifted the dusty planter that would hold a key. She promptly removed it and unlocked the door, drawing one last breath as she stepped inside.

It was quiet and she used the light on her phone to see past the foyer and into the living room. She spotted the small lantern that sat on the end table just beside the couch. Jessalyn smiled sweetly at the sight of Bristol curled up on the couch asleep, like so many times before. She gently sat down and placed her hand on Bristol's back. Jess didn't want to startle her but knew she couldn't just wait for her to wake up either.

"Ender?" Bristol shifted a bit and mumbled, clearly half asleep. She stretched and blinked her eyes open. She couldn't believe the sight and rubbed her eyes to make sure she wasn't seeing things, "JESSALYN!"

Jessalyn felt arms tighten around her and returned the hug. It made her sad that Bristol must have felt so lonely all week while she was off having such a great time. Not to mention, Ender was the first name she'd said, "Oh my gosh, I've missed you-"

Bristol felt the tears start to fall, but she only held onto her best friend tighter, "I love you, Jess! How did you know I'd be here?"

"Where else would you be?" She pulled back and smiled as she brushed the hair from Bristol's face, "Oh Bris, have you been taking care of yourself?"

Bristol shrugged and glanced away, "I guess. I mean, I'm getting by."

"Sweetie," Jess frowned and grabbed her hand, "You've got to come home. You can't stay here. No power and it's probably not the safest..."

"No," Bristol shook her head, "I can't go home, I won't-"

Jess began to explain, "But, Ender really-"

Bristol was quick to stop her as she jerked her hand away and spoke a bit harsh, "If you're going to talk about HIM then you can go, I've been fine all week, and I'll continue to be fine."

"Well HE is miserable and you're not looking much better so-"