Flora smiled and milk dribbled down her chin. "I wasn't scared."

"Oh really? Well then if you're such a big girl, you don't need me anymore." I turned to go, a smile on my lips. Behind me, I heard a soft whimper.

"Victoria!"

I could manage a real laugh this time.

After Flora finished her breakfast, I ran a bath for her. She splashed around happily, the door open so I could keep an eye on her. I ate my breakfast with one hand and tried fixing myself up with the other. It was useless, I looked just as bad as my mother. When Flora was clean and dressed, I settled her down in front of the television and took a shower.

The water trickled down my back. The smell of shampoo helped to clear my head. I stood for so long under the water that it began running cold. When I couldn't stand it anymore, I turned the faucet off and dried myself. Dressed in a warm jumper and leggings, I found Flora sitting on the floor colouring a book.

Feeling much better, I picked Flora up and sat on the couch. "Have you seen Mother?" I asked, brushing her wet hair back. 

"No." Her big blue eyes searched my own. "Vicky, what is wrong with her? Why does she look so sad?"

A lump slowly formed in my throat. I had to tell her the truth someday, but it never seemed like the right time. She was growing up, she'd figure it out herself soon that our mother was a drug addict and our father was never coming back. I rested my chin on her head. "She's just sad, Flora. She's going through a rough time. The only thing we can do is leave her alone. Mum can figure herself out. Let's just worry about us now, okay?"

"Okay. You wanna hear a joke?" She patted my cheek.

"Sure."

"What kind of bees make milk?"

I already knew the answer, she had told it so many times before, but I couldn't help playing along every time. "I don't know, what?"

"Boo-bees!" Flora laughed as if it was the funniest thing in the world. Her laugh had a raspy tone behind it, like an old bus driver. I chuckled, more at her laugh than the actual joke. We went into the kitchen to get something to drink.

Our happiness was short-lived as someone knocked on the door. It was angry and loud. Flora continued searching the refrigerator, no worry on her face. I closed the door and yanked her behind me protectively. She began protesting but I quickly shushed her up. A second later, a loud crack hinted that Lucian had probably broken the door down.

Bastard.

There came a sound like soft growling, much like an angered dog would do. Flora peeked curiously through my waist. I could hear my heartbeats. The sounds coming from the living room wasn't one that a human was capable of making. Much to my horror and Flora's delight, 3 dogs bounded into the kitchen.

My heart rose to my throat. Maybe werewolves did, in fact, exist. The proof was certainly there. The dogs were larger than a horse, almost reaching my height. One was white, and the other two were brown.

I assumed Lucian was the white one. His fur was sleek silver, and reflecting light off in a smattering of colors. At the end of a sharp nose, there were knife-like teeth that were bared at me. Lucian's magnificent golden eyes focused on me, and a deep growling emitted from deep in his chest. They were all fangs, growls, and things straight out of a child's nightmare.

My heart almost stopped. The floor I was standing upon suddenly seemed unbalanced. There was the doorway, but many of them. I closed my eyes, gripping the counter for support behind me. Flora shouted happily. She must have thought they were big, playful dogs.