Chapter 1 -Ghallows

Start from the beginning

"I'm thinking of going into the city, get some supplies, do you need anything?" I ask nonchalantly, taking soup off the stove and grabbing myself a small bowlful.

"Just some black salt dear, we are running out of qeres." Ma calls from her study room "Oh and remember to bring the new remedies." I smell jasmine and sage wafting faintly from down the hall.

"Have you been making up more protection spells? We need to remark the boundaries again." I finish up, rifling through the top draw for the car keys. Just before I go out the door Ma rushes over, pressing a small bottle of qeres into my palm.

"Just to be safe." Ma smiles at me painfully. "I've been getting some dark visions these past few weeks."

"Thank you," I whisper, trying to hide the worry in my voice as I hug her goodbye. Ma's almost never wrong in her visions.

I jump into the old beat up ford, bringing it to life as I turn the key. Pulling out of the driveway I watch the last few rays of the sun set, leaving the world in a hazy blue gloom. I turn the radio on, listening to the news through the crackling sound system.

'Three ghallows have been found dead at marshall park......crackle.......all with smoking eye sockets, a characteristic of a fallen attack. Zaronia city is asked to stay indoors until further notice, extra guardians will be on call.......'

The radio cuts out, I twist the knobs trying in vain to get it work.

"Stupid old car." I mutter, as I make it out of the forest onto the quiet highway. Nobody else is out tonight.

I think about the radio news. How strange that a fallen would attack ghallows, one of their own. After all, aren't they on the same side?

I ponder as I drive along the highway in silence, pulling into the city. Ma owns a health shop here, all handmade natural remedies. She's gotten too old to look after it now, we hired Nate to manage the place while we clear the forest ghallows and make protection potions for the public. It starts to rain as I pull up to the health shop, Nate is just closing up. I pull my hood over my head and run up to the shop hastily.

"Keira hey," Nate grins warmly to me and I walk through the door.

"Sorry I'm barging in while you're closing, just getting some supplies, you can go, I'll lock up." I meekly smile, passing him the tray of new remedies Ma had freshly cooked up.

"Not a chance," Nate laughs, his azure blue eyes twinkling. "Did you hear the news?"

"I did, strange isn't it?" I reply whilst searching the cupboards for black salt and dried red poppies.

I find them behind glass bottles of cough remedy. "Do you think a fallen did it?" I ask hesitantly.

Nate leans over the counter, looking out the window to the stormy sky. "I want to say no, but what else would kill a ghallow like that? No guardian has owned up to killing them. I.... I wish the things would all just die mysteriously like that." Nate looks down at his clenched fists, suddenly aware of the anger in his voice.

I hush my voice "Me too." I whisper. Talking about ghallows has always been a sore spot for Nate, his mother was killed by one ten years ago. Ma has both been like a mother to both of us. His father has been a drunk since the death of his wife, a retired city guardian. The health shop has become Nates escape.

"I guess I've got what I need now, I'll head out." I open the door to a fresh gust of chilly air from the brewing storm.

"I'll walk you out." Nate rushes to get an umbrella.

Nate walks me to my car, the umbrella nearly turning inside out from the wind.

"This weather is insane, you can stay at my place if you want, it's not safe to drive." Nate shouts over the wind.

"No it's ok, I've got to get home to Ma." I fumble with my keys, unlocking the car.

'You sure?" Nate asks as lightning flashes the sky.

I nod, getting in the car.

"Keira?" Nate asks apprehensively.

"Yes?" I answer, looking up at Nate's strange expression.

Nate looks distracted, the rain soaking into his jacket. "Nevermind, tell your Ma hi from me." He shuts the door quickly, running back inside the shop.

I shrug, a little puzzled by Nates behaviour as I turn up the heat and window wipers as far as they will go.

The car shakes a little from the wind as I drive out of the city gates. Maybe I should of taken up Nates offer.

I strain to see the road in front of me, I know I've reached the forest when I see trees swaying like river reeds.

A crack of lightning momentarily lights up the road, suddenly, a figure appears in front of the car, I swerve the steering wheel to avoid them, but hit full force. Screeching to a halt, I scramble out of the car, rain pelting like bullets as I run to the crumpled figure.

"Oh no oh no" I panic, rolling the person over. His short wavy hair and fringed closed eyes take me a back a little, he looks so peaceful for someone who just got hit by a car. The rain blurs my vision as I check his vitals. Im relieved to see he's breathing, and reach for my phone to call for help.

With a jerked movement, his hand grabs my arm, his thumb pressing against my scar, I drop my phone in surprise. He lets go and recoils away from me in alarm. His eyes wide, a shade of silver, glowing in the darkness.

"I'm trying to help you!" I yell above the storm.

He stands up, wobbling on his feet. A pair of elegant ivory wings unfurl from behind him.

My jaw goes slack in surprise. Instinctively, I reach for my qere soaked daggers, but I don't throw them. I watch in awe as he gracefully rises into the air, I feel the wind beat off his wings. Lightning cracks, a halo of light surrounding him as he flees over the forest, disappearing into the storm.

.

.

.

.

~Author's note

Hey guys welcome to the first chapter of A Cloak Of Feathers!
Expect more mystery, cliffhangers and surprises to come. Hope you enjoy this story as much as I do writing it 🦋