chapter i: an impossible job

Zacznij od początku

The client knocks again ― clearly they're impatient too ― as Yoongi makes his way to the door. As he does, he grabs the mask from where it rests on his desk, pulling it on to hide his identity from the person on the other side. The full-faced, gold and ornately decorated mask (which he stole from a target's house) might make it stuffy and difficult to breathe, but he can't be too careful. The magpie then pauses, deciding to make this person wait. His hand rests on the knob as he listens to whoever waits on the other side of the door. It's silent. The assassin opens the door, revealing a slightly older male. His face is obscured by his hood and the shadows it creates ― all that's visible is the speckled beard that frames his firmly set lips.

"You're the assassin? The one who took out Jungchul?" The male asks almost immediately, not giving Yoongi a chance to say anything. The assassin simply nods, stepping to the side so the client can enter. The male does so, walking through with an assured aura. He takes a seat at the desk, leaning back casually. The mysterious male glances up at the assassin, "I have a job for you."

"That is generally why people come to me." Yoongi retorts, sitting down in his seat. "What is it?"

"A tough one, maybe your toughest: I want you to kill the king." This revelation is presented without any theatrics ― no dramatic pauses for effect, emphasis, or tone changes ― it's just given plainly, casually as if it's no big deal. This almost causes Yoongi to miss the fact that his target for this job would be the king. This type of target is new to the older male: normally the younger keeps out of politics, avoids killing anyone higher than a knight. Killing anyone higher ― especially a king ― usually has a tendency to start wars and this country doesn't need another one. Besides, a target like this usually costs more than the client can pay ― but Yoongi doesn't doubt this male has money, not if those gold rings on his fingers are any indication.

"Which one?" He responds, "There's a lot of them." While 'a lot' might be an exaggeration, there are indeed a few: four, one for each capital. A confusing system, Yoongi thinks, especially when other countries have survived fine with only one ruling figure as their head. It's also a system that has sparked plenty of civil wars, and yet no one (not even The Council) have caught on to the fact that maybe, just maybe, it's flawed.

"Our one ― the raven king." The client clarifies, sounding slightly frustrated, as though the need for such clarification is stupid.

"You want me to kill King Jungkook?" The speckled haired male gives a sharp nod. "I heard he was impossible to kill ― immortal."

"They're just rumours. No one's invulnerable." The older male snaps, clearly wishing to dispel these preconceived notions that might put Yoongi off from taking the case. The aggression takes Yoongi aback for a second but he ensures the surprise doesn't reach his face, even if his expression is hidden by a mask. Besides, it's true, anyway: these are rumours that have only ever been substantiated by other assassin's anecdotes (which can never really be trusted). "The king can be killed, if you're good enough."

The challenge is clear. So painfully obvious it almost makes Yoongi snort. But while it might have been intended as a way to convince the assassin to take the job, to boost his ego so he feels he can take on the unkillable king, Yoongi only sees it as a sign of desperation. Only someone with no other options would resort to such tactics.

"I'm good enough ― more than good enough." Yoongi states matter-of-factly. Because it is a fact: while the male does try to keep his identity a secret, he still carries reputation of being one of the best in the business. People come to him because they want a job done and they want it done well. "It'll cost you though."

"I can pay." The male attempts to maintain a collected composure, but Yoongi can hear the desperation sinking into his tone. "Whatever you want, I'll pay." Yoongi decides to make the most of this desperation. A grin spreads across his lips beneath the frozen gold lips of the mask.

"I want forty thousand gold, half paid before and half after the job is done." The client visibly balks at this price, tensing in his seat. If his eyes were visible, Yoongi thinks he might have seen them widen.

"Forty thousand?" He exclaims, which Yoongi returns with a shrug.

"You said you'd pay whatever. Besides, this is King Jungkook we're talking about. It's going to take time ― time that could be spent doing easier, quicker jobs and earning more money faster."

"Fine, I'll pay the money." Yoongi chuckles internally, finding this too easy. "You'll be expected to start within a few weeks. There'll be a week-long party held for the king, to search for potential suitors ― it's a front, to make it easier for you to get in and do your job. An invitation will be sent with the money."

"I'm going to masquerade as a rich suitor?" The client nods. "Usually my clients want me to get in and kill the target, not flirt with them."

"The assassination has to look like an accident." Yoongi catches on quick.

"Ah, so close to his eighteenth... Don't want it to look like you're trying to get the throne." The older male nods. This confirmation gives Yoongi the motive for this assassination: whoever his client is, they want the throne. Take out the King and he'll be one step closer. "Wouldn't want to start a war."

"Exactly. So whatever you do, make it look like an accident or blame it on someone easy to blame ― like the eagles ― if it's easier." The client just shrugs. "As long as you follow the parameters, I don't care how you do it, just get it done. Anyway, I have to get going. I'll have someone come round with your things soon."

"Tomorrow, I want them tomorrow. I need time to prepare if I'm going to do the impossible." The client nods as he pushes himself up to his feet, beyond the point of arguing with the assassin. He's got what he came for, nothing else matters. He pauses for a moment and Yoongi can see the glint of the male's eyes travel down from within the shadows.

"You'll have to dress up for this. Will you need me to send you some clothes with the money as well?" Yoongi scoffs, arms crossing over his chest as he leans back in his seat.

"I may be a magpie and an assassin, but that doesn't mean I'm tasteless or poor. I'll get clothes." He snaps back, feathers ruffled. This time, his pride lets the older male win. "In fact, you won't be able to distinguish me from your other guests ― I'll blend right in."

"We'll see..."

Hot water splashes against Yoongi's bare back as it's tipped into the metal tub he's sitting in. He hisses, glaring up at the girl, Shinhye, who is doing the pouring. She seems oblivious to the pain she's causing, but the older male doesn't doubt that it's intentional.

"Couldn't you have mixed a bit of cold in with the water?" He snaps, now sitting in a tub of considerably hotter water. It tingles, growing more painful the longer his skin is exposed to the liquid. The girl just shrugs.

"Not really, the dye is sensitive to the temperature." She claims, now running the black paste through the male's black and white wings. A small sigh slips past her lips, which are turned down as she looks down at the wings. "I don't understand why you always hide your wings like this ― they're nothing to be ashamed of..."

"I'm not." Yoongi snaps back, although his wings do press further down against his back in an almost self conscious manner. Shinhye just grabs, stretching them out so she can continue to apply the black dye to the white areas. "It's for a job, anyway."

"Again, I wish you didn't do these things. One day, you're going to get caught." This makes Yoongi laugh. He throws his head back as a loud, disbelieving laugh leaves his lips, shaking his head at the younger girl.

"Me? Get caught? I'm too fast to get caught." He shakes his head once again. "I might get killed ― one day ― but that's the only way they'll ever catch me. "

"That's what I worry about..." Shinhye mutters.

"Stop worrying about me and start worrying about making sure the dye isn't obvious or you'll be the reason I get caught."