chapter iii: flirting at dinner

Before dinner, while the guests are settling into their beds, Jungkook has to attend a meeting with his many advisors. Just the thought causes a slight headache to make itself known to the king, lurking at the edge of his temple. He groans quietly, pushing a sigh through his nose, as he presses two fingers against the side of his head. His eyes are shut, frown resting on his perfectly manicured brow.

"You alright?" A voice asks and the raven doesn't have to open his eyes to identity who it belongs to. Namjoon is standing beside him, probably looking down at the boy in concern. Concern is an expression that can often be found on the older male's face: all he ever seemed to feel is concern of the boy. Sometimes it can get overbearing but Jungkook knows it comes from love. "I can tell them to postpone the meeting, if you want."

"Waiting will just give me more time to think about it and thinking about it makes my head hurt more." Jungkook responds, dark eyes opening slowly to look up at his nanny. Sure enough, the worry is etched across his face. Namjoon's eyes are soft and he brings a smile to his lips, which is soon returned by the younger. The brunette gets to his feet, adjusting his coat around him. "Besides, if I get it over with now, I can be in a good mood for the guests at dinner."

"Ah, yes, the search for someone suitable enough to sweep our Jungkook off his feet." Namjoon takes the boy king by the hand, pulling him closer and almost literally sweeping him off his feet. An affectionate gaze takes his eyes as he looks down at Jungkook, fixing his hair for him. "I don't think anyone is good enough for our little prince."

Jungkook grimaces as he pushes the owl's hand away. He ruffles his hair up, return it to its precious unkempt state.

"Just promise me one thing," Namjoon says, growing serious for a bit moment. Jungkook nods in response, "You won't listen to your uncle and all the advisors on this one thing. Don't marry someone you don't like and seal yourself into a lifetime of unhappiness just because a bunch of old guys think it'd be beneficial for the kingdom."

"I won't. I promise."

"Don't settle for some bore." Namjoon continues, clearly not convinced. "Even if you have to take longer than planned, make sure you're absolutely certain you want to marry whoever you marry."

"I promise, Joon. I'm not going to make any old loser my king or queen. Trust me." The older male still doesn't seem completely sure, but he's unable to say anything further as a servant enters the room. The servant must be new because he appears nervous ― scared, even ― when he approaches the pair, never having met the king firsthand and only knowing the rumours that surround him. These worries are only strengthened when Jungkook's expression loses its warmth as he stares at the servant, annoyed at what his presence means.

"I-I'm sorry, Your Highness, but your uncle wants to see you." The king only nods, letting a tired sigh leave his lips. The servant pauses, hesitating, before he bows and takes his leave.

"You ought to treat your servants more nicely ― it's not helping your cause."

"Any one of them could be a spy or an assassin. I can't afford to be nice." The older male watches the boy for a second, before sighing sadly. He sees no point in arguing against the king, not when he's so sure of his paranoia. Instead he continued to watch as Jungkook leaves, head held high and stubbornly.

"There has been a development. " One of the younger Council members ― an owl ― announces once the meeting has started. Attention is placed on him, all silent. "A town near the hawks has been attacked and taken out in the fighting. Our sources say the homes have been completely destroyed."

"That will mean more refugees." Another notes, getting nods of agreement from the others at the table. Everyone looks at the bored king, expectantly waiting his input. He stares back, unresponsive. "Your highness, we recommend―"