Basin

He

"Fish!" Zeke giggled and clapped his tiny hands together in delight as I reeled in the fish that was caught in our line.

After a few seconds of winding, the fish was finally at the end of our rod. I placed it in the basin half-filled with water. It flapped its tail and made a little splash before swimming in circles.

Zeke squealed with joy and threw his hands up in the air. "Fish! Fish! Wam more!" He cheered.

"Okay, buddy. One more." I chuckled and placed a lure and sinker on the hook.

There was a huge grin on his face, his eyes glimmered and the dimples on his cheeks deepened as I cast the line. Some say he's a spitting image of me because of his fair skin and dimples but when they look closely, they would see how those are your bright brown eyes on him, that's your cute button nose and that's your amazing smile. There's a bit of you and me in him.

He has your asthmatic laughter and my crabby frown. He is a light sleeper like you and a heavy eater like me. He loves to dance randomly like me and sings out of no where like you. He loves telling stories and it's amazing how his young mind can come up with fantastic scenes and plots. I'm sure he got that from you. He's really smart like you and passionate like me. He's determined and kind. He's a dream come true.

He's perfect and he misses you.

We miss you.

"Daddy, bob!" I was snapped back from my reverie by Zeke's excited voice.

He was jumping up and down on the pier where we stood over the lake, pointing at the bobber that was moving up and down. I felt a strong tug on the other end of the line. We caught a big one. Zeke cheered as I reeled it in and shrieked happily when I finally had in my hand. Seeing the amusement in his eyes, I was glad Dad took me fishing on this lake when I was young coz now I can share the same awesome experience with our son.

I placed the second fish in the basin where swam with the other fish. Zeke watched amusedly as the two seemed to dance around each other.

He was so absorbed in watching the fishes and had such a bright smile on his face. He has your smile. Did I say that already? He's perfect and I remember how this little miracle came into our lives like it was yesterday.

--
It was a beautiful day. The most special day of our lives.

At the restaurant after the lunch reception of our wedding, lights were low and dishes were slowly being put away. The music was quiet and there was a soft chatter among our family as the celebration was winding down to a close.

My hand was around your waist and your cheek was on my shoulder as we slow danced to Ed Sheeran's Perfect.

"Thank you, Mommy. Today is perfect." I whispered.

"You're perfect." You sighed and snuggled closer.

"No. You are." I smiled and kissed your hair then nuzzled in it. "Can I love you any more? Parang sasabog na ang puso ko sa sobrang pagmamahal sa'yo."

You giggled. "I can ask you the same thing. I love you, Richard Faulkerson Jr." You said looking at me.

"And I love you more." I whispered as I leaned my forehead on yours and kissed you gently.

You suddenly frowned and gripped my arm. "Daddy..." You gasped and leaned heavily on me, clutching your underbelly.

"Bakit, Mommy?" I asked worriedly.

"Aaaah!" You painfully groaned then bit your lip.

"Oh my God! Maine!" I started to panic as water and blood gushed between your legs. "No. No. No. It's too early. Mommy..."