Line

He

You smiled as soon as you saw me and suddenly all the fear, all the insulting words from Ivan, your Dad's stern disapproval, the threats from your brother, the pain in my jaw and the taste of blood in my lips are all washed away by the radiance of your smile.

"Daddy..." You uttered and it only took three long strides for me to reach your side.

I sat on the chair beside the bed and held your hand firmly with my eyes glued on yours. Your eyes looked happy like nothing was wrong. You were just happy to see me and I thanked God that you were alright. I didn't even notice the tears in my eyes until they started dampening my cheeks and your hand as I kissed it over and over and over.

"Daddy, don't cry. Sorry if we scared you." You said gently as you caressed my cheek and wiped my tears away.

You're an angel. Do you know that, my Nicomaine? You are my angel.

"Mommy..." I tried to speak but only sobs escaped my lips.

"Ang iyakin mo talaga." You giggled. "What's this?" You asked and touched my jaw and then the corner of my lips where a little blood trickled.

I saw the worried look on your face so I shook my head and smiled.

"Wala yan, Mommy. Don't worry about it. Gwapo pa din naman ako." I chuckled weakly but you continued to frown.

"I thought I heard Kuya yelling. Did he do this to you? He can't hurt you like this. I'll talk to him." You said determinedly like you weren't in a hospital bed with an IV line on your hand.

I held your hand tighter and toughened my voice. "Nicomaine, stop. You're going to hurt yourself and the baby."

You looked into my eyes with a confused gaze like seeing a different man, maybe because I never used that tone with you before, then your confusion faded into respect and you sighed.

"Sorry, Daddy."

"Tama na kasi." I said in a gentle tone and stroked your cheek. "I'm okay. Wala ito. Ikaw ang dapat kinukumusta. Takot na takot ako, alam mo ba?"

You nodded your head and sighed. "I know. Sobrang OA mo mag-alaga at mag-protekta sa amin ni baby tapos a few hours away from you, we ended up here. Yabang ko pa naman kanina. Sorry, Dad."

I shook my head. "Hindi. Wala kang kasalanan. It's those girls. Kung may masamang nangyari sa inyo, malalagot talaga sila sa akin."

"Dad, they're just kids. Besides we're not faultless. Kasalanan ko din kasi in-expect ko na yun. Alam ko naman na may sasabihin naman talaga ang ibang tao pero nagpa-apekto pa din ako." You sighed.

"Mula ngayon, hindi na tayo dapat magpapa-apekto sa sasabihin ng ibang tao, Mi. Ikaw, ako at si baby lang ang mahalaga. Okay ba yun?"

"Okay, Dad." You smiled. "The nurse told me si Ivan nagdala sa akin dito at nandiyan sina Tatay."

I nodded my head.

"Sa itsura mo pagpasok, mukhang hindi maganda pagkikita ninyo?"

I nodded again and sighed. "Gusto ng Tatay mo na lumayo ako sa inyo. Iuuwi ka daw niya."

I felt a lump in my throat and my voice cracked as I blinked back the tears I did not want you to see.

"Anong sinabi mo?" You asked quietly.