Sinker

He

"Hi. I'm RJ. Open minded ka ba?"

You don't answer. You just quietly stare back at me with a hand on your belly. You're even more beautiful than I remember. Carrying our child is giving you a certain glow and I love you more with every second I stand there watching you.

"Maine?" I ask and then without a word, you step into my arms, burying your face on my chest.

I hold you... tight like my entire existence depends on it. I have longed for you for so long, there's no way I will ever let you go now. Ever.

The rain starts to get stronger so we walk to my car where I help you in. I go to your cab, pay your fare, get your bags.

The drive back is quiet, no music, no conversation, just the soft hum of the engine and the patter of rain on the roof. There is only silence but it is a welcome silence, calm, content, warm like home.

You're finally here with me, Maine and I can not be happier. Oh, yes, I am because you are having my baby.

Minutes later, I am parking my car in front of my apartment.

"Dito muna tayo ha?" I tell you and you nod your head.

I help you get down from my car and lead you up the few steps to my front door where we find Stacy waiting with a cigarette in hand, puffing out smoke.

Oh, yeah, she mentioned she smokes now. She said she caught the habit a few months after we broke up from the new group she started hanging out with. I guess I didn't really listen to that story earlier and frankly did not care.

What the hell is she still doing here? Di ba dapat umalis na to kanina pa?

You cover your nose with your hand and step back with a look like you're about to throw up when we get closer to her. I feel a rush of irritation at her. I wonder why I was ever into her because right now here mere presence repulses me and with the way she's making you feel uncomfortable, I just want to throw her off the porch.

"Stace? Would you please..." I tell her politely as I point to the cigarette in her hand.

"Oh, sorry." She shrugs. "You're the pregnant pala." She tells you.

I feel you lightly jolt beside me and I can almost hear you correcting her sentence in your mind. I remember how much you are irked off my the way she speaks.

"May kailangan ka pa, Stace? Pagod na kasi ni Maine. Kailangan na niya magpahinga. Check ko muna schedule namin kung pwede kami makapunta sa kasal mo."

"That's fine. She is not my need. You are my need, Jun-jun. Tsaka... Wala naman talagang kasal. I just make an excuse to see you." She smiles innocently. I used to like that smile and I used to grin at her irritating nickname for me but now I am revolted.

You are my need? Pota! Ang sakit nga pala talaga sa braincells kausap nito. Paano ko nga ba siya natiis dati? Four months pa yun ah.

"Sasamahan ko siya. Kung wala ka nang kailangan, please leave." I say dismissively but I don't think she's listening because she is eyeing you curiously.

"Ilang buwan na?" She asks you. You flinch but still politely answer. "Five."

"Oh, so you're pregnant when you leave before." She continues and I hear you sigh deeply, probably counting slowly in your head to keep yourself from punching her in the face.

"I was but I didn't know then." You answer plainly.

"Ah, you don't know? And here I think you are the smart." She chides.

That's it! No one can talk to Maine like that ever.

I now fully understand why you disliked her so much when I dated her. She is stupid, rude and tacky. I want to kick myself until my nuts shrink back into their sacks for ever being with her because although her pretty face and heavy chest were great distractions from the pain of what I thought was unrequited love for you, everything else about her is empty.

"Stacy, umalis ka na." I tell her coldly.

"But, Jun..." She protests but I cut her short.

"Leave habang may pasensya pa ako sa'yo." I say.

I sense your hand on my arm and I know that's your signal for me to try and pull it together. I turn to look at you which is a big mistake because the pain I see in your eyes is making me feel anything but calm.

Kung di lang masama, ako na mismo ang nanapak sa babaeng to.

"Pasok na tayo." I whisper as I touch your cheek.

You nod your head and blink back your tears. My heart shatters with the sight of you like this. I want to take it all away. Please let me take all the pain away.

I put an arm over your shoulder and walk you to the door, deliberately staying between you and Stacy. I already want to hit her so bad for all the things she said to you, I would probably flip out if she as much as lay a finger on you. I slightly shove my elbow in between you two, making her gasp as she steps back.

"Fine. I'm leave now." She scoffs.

"Bye, Stacy." I say.

Wag ka nang babalik.

You are already behind the screen door and I am about to walk in after you when she speaks again.

"Maine, do Ivan know na magkakaanak na kayong dalawa? Tuloy na ba ang kasal?" She asks with an irritating smirk.

Even through the screen, I can see how distressed and hurt you are by her comment so before you are forced to answer.

"The baby is mine." I tell her straight.

Her jaw drops in shock as I close the door to her face.

********
Unbeta'ed and not proofread.

Where do you think this story should go? What else do you want to see from their past and present?

Share your thoughts with me. Comment below or tweet me @magicheart21.

Thank you for reading. ❤️