The Past That Is Never Too Far

Start from the beginning

            There was no one in the world who wanted to rescue the second prince more than his royal uncle. Despite that, the astute older man knew that charging in at the moment was not possible and using brute force was not an option due to their meager number. Thus, based on their small but highly skilled group, he knew they had only one chance to move in quick and quickly extract the royal prince before anyone notice. 

*           *           *

            Arden stood clueless in the middle of his bedchamber as maids fuss around him, holding up much jewelry against him to compare against him if it was the correct fit. The whole day had been wasted away with servants pampering him up as if he was going to be competing in a pageant. Of course he had spent much of the morning arguing with the person he considered the evilest of all, Einarrys, but at last he lost. Thus, he spent most of the time as a dress up doll unless he wanted FairFray’s treaty to be voided.

            At first he asked, then he tried ordering and even when he threatened, no one was telling him anything. Einarrys had decreed earlier that no one gives Arden any information, most likely fearing Arden would plan something to thwart the grand event into chaos. There was a knock on the door.

            Leo came in, behind him was two maids each holding a extricate chest. The consort knew that on good days, Arden’s company was refreshing and at times he found that Arden was pleasant to be around with. However, Leo knew today was not one of those days. Einarrys must have managed to tip off the young man’s temper again. Then annoyance and anger could be easily read on Arden’s eyes. The maids presented the chests towards Arden’s direction.

            “What brings you here?” Although Arden’s voice was indifferent, his eyes cast a disdainful look at the two chests. Leo did not let the look bother him, bowing down in respect to the Hsivana.

            “These were pulled out of the royal treasury for your highness.” Leo opens the first chest.

            Inside was a beautifully crafted gold circlet, the weaving and effortless beauty gently shimmers elegantly. The emeralds on the circlet shine brilliantly but did not take away from the breathless design. Arden bit his tongue momentarily, unable to find a fault on the piece to rudely decline it.

            “This was once worn by the First Hsivana herself, in its long history, you are only the third person to ever worn it.” The disdainful look did not disappear from Arden’s face, he was not amused by the honor being bestow upon him.

            Leo pretended not to see Arden’s face and proceed to open the other chest. Unlike the intricate design on the chest and elaborate embellishment on the outside, what was inside was unexpected.

            It was a simple gold chain. The necklace held a small tear-shape gem no more than one inch long. The design was purposely made simple to not take away from the gem itself. The gem glowed gently even without a glimpse of light, glowing an abundance of pale shimmering colors.

            “This is Klamata-lekani, the prized treasure of the Waning West Tribe. Its high affinity for all worldly illness and sadness draws those impurities away from its wearer, blessing the wearer with great health and long life.” Leo took the necklace from the chest and approaches Arden. “It is one of a kind.”

            Leo was taller than Arden so it was an easy task to slip the necklace around Arden’s head. The young man however, smack the necklace away leaving Leo confuse as to the reason why.

            “I would rather die than be bought like a common whore. I am the royal prince of FairFray, it disgusts me to no end. I do not understand why he tries. Even if I have to die, I will never lower myself to be his kept prostitute and play thing.” Arden’s comments were meant for the circlet and necklace but Leo’s face hardened upon the words.