Cavinglen

Chapter 6: Cavinglen

            The young prince that had slept in the warmth of Einarrys’ arms was clueless to the whole incident because when he was woken up by a maid, the whole camp was almost cleared out and ready to go.

Now he was standing in front of the horse master, a stubby old man with a grey beard, with both his hands on his hip in anger.

            “I said give me a horse.” The old man was as stubborn as the prince, refusing to hand over a horse.

            “Your highness I implore you to make use of the carriage. I do not think it is a good idea for your health to be riding a horse especially when the weather will get colder as we edge closer to Cavinglen.”

            Arden’s eyes narrow. He was not use to people questioning his demands, much less refusing it.

            “I did not ask you to speculate what is good for my health nor of the weather. I said give me a horse. Now.” The man bit his tongue and while he was trying to think of a way to pacify the situation, the impatient prince pushes pass the man to help himself to a horse. When Arden reached for the reins of one of the horses, the horse master grabbed Arden’s hand.

            The young prince smack the horse master’s hand away and gave the man a piercing look for overstepping his boundaries.

            “Who you do think you are to touch me? I am the royal prince of Fairfray, House of Varowness.” The man did bow down but his face did not show any expression of repentance.

            “I’ll take care of this.” A voice called out. Arden turns his gaze to see Jarcada walking towards them. “Go back to what you were doing Jyro.”

            With the dismissal the man bowed his head and head off back to doing what he was doing before Arden had come along. The situation made Arden irritated thus he decided to completely ignore Jarcada and inspect the horses for the one he wanted to ride on.

            “I don’t even deserve a greeting. I thought with you almost being my fourth mistress we would be closer.”

            “If I recall correctly you are the promiscuous barbarian whose dirty and unorthodox ways had helped sacked me in this position. So no, you don’t deserve a greeting.” Arden said with a modest tone but his words were full of bitterness and venom.

            Instead of being offended, Jarcada laughed so hard he had to bend over to help himself from toppling over, which only added more to Arden’s irritation.

            “I don’t think I said anything amusing that would warrant you to laugh?”

            Jarcada shook his head and wipe away the tears at the corners of his eyes.

            “I apologize. It’s nothing.”  Arden rolls his eyes and helps himself on top of a horse.

            “Is this how your people treat their superiors, with disrespect and rudeness? Cavinglen boasts of being the forefront runner in military prowess, I expected men of better caliber and discipline.” Arden purposely insults the whole Kingdom to get back at Jarcada for laughing at him.

            However, the young general eyes didn’t even flinch as he continues to smile and hands Arden the reins.

            “They say the people of a country will only go as far as the leader, so my Hsivana, if you see fault in your  people, don’t you think you should help them change.” Arden wasn’t stupid; he knew what Jarcada had meant by his words.