Chapter 5~ Breaking rules

"I want to say that you've found a good place, but I can't say that" Lucian inspects the ancient shack I found. It's gray and located at the edge of the city. The floor of the one roomed shelter creeks. Cracked windows glare luminous moonlight into the room. Rats squeak in the corners. This is the definition of slumming it. Must be a new experience for you.

"I would love to point out that when you're on the run you don't have time to find a well furnished apartment" I scowl, I don't like this place either but for right now it's all we got. The idea of forcing humans out of their homes came to me, but we shouldn't attract any unwanted attention.

Daphne sits on the dusty floor, dragging the suitcase with her. I watch while she rummages through our things. I haven't known Daphne long. Lucian and I found her on the streets of England. She was terrorizing a group of humans. I wanted to look the other way but Lucian intervened. I had never seen a newborn so angry as Daphne was that day. That was a century ago. The connection we all shared was strong. It should be for people who were turned by the same vamp. It's great to have a little sister again.

"What are you looking for kiddo?" I ask pulling back her dark locks into a pony tail.

"A book."

"What book?"

"A special book."

"Care to explain." I demand trying to not loose my patience.

Daphne sighs "It's a book I received before I met you guys. It shows me how to control my power."

"Well, did you put it in the suitcase?"

"Nope," defeated she nudges the empty suitcase away.

"Why not?"

"I was reading it. I guess I forgot. I'm sorry," Daphne covers her eyes.

"Why would you be sorry?"

"The book is filled secrets that can be useful to all of us."

"Secrets. Bad secrets? Is it harmful?" I feel bad for pounding her with questions but this book intrigues me.

"It could be if a bad person found it." It doesn't make any sense. Why would Daphne have a book like that? If the book is as useful as she says then I'd like to see it. Patting Daphnes head, I stride over to my older brother.

"No" he says before I have a chance to ask.

"But it sounds like a cool book. She says that it could help us." I pursue.

Lucian towers over me "we aren't risking going back for a forbidden book Daphne shouldn't have had." Mr. Mind Reader is extremely calm. It puts me on edge.

"How do you know it's forbidden? Oh wait, you don't." It's forbidden. Stop being so naïve.

"Of course it's a forbidden book. Hell that's probably the reason they started looking for us in the first place."

"No, Zoë said the Leader wanted all vamps with special talents."

"If Zoë really was telling the truth then she'd be after Xander and his brothers as well."

"Maybe the book could help." Since Lucian decided to be a total hard ass, I could always go get the book myself.

"We aren't going to get the book. You aren't going to get the book. Forget the book. It's probably nothing but trouble." He glares at me, reading every thought.

"Okay." Go get the book.

"Selene. Promise me," he begs.

"I promise I won't go get the book alone." Get the book.

"Great," Lucian grunts. I turn on my heels, that was a pointless conversation.

I can't shake the thoughts. No one would give a newborn a book like that. Unless they wanted to start trouble. Well, in that case I'm basically being forced to go get the book. Right?

Right.

--------

A/N If you liked this chapter how about voting or leaving a comment? Thanks for reading!!