Before anything else, Nole realized that neither he nor the Chief had regained their weapons. As they both searched the area, desperate for the upper hand, Nole discovered the gun, which had slid a few feet away from them after the impact. Racing over to the weapon, Nole was stopped short by another figure whose arm, wrapped in bloodied bandages, claimed the gun.

Zane.

“What a mess,” he assessed, redirecting his attention to the fighting at the foot of the stairway. Shifting his eyes to Chief Caswell, then to Maddox and Taro, and finally to Nole a look of disinterest apparent in his faded gray eyes.

“W-why did you do that?” Nole demanded to Zane’s rejuvenated smugness. He looked in even worse shape than before, if that was even possible. “I was about to-”

“Shut up,” Zane cut him off. “From what I saw, you couldn’t do it.” Speechless and enraged, Nole couldn’t decide whether or not to attack his own ally for the sake of his own pride. “Besides, he would’ve shot you.” Zane tilted his head in the direction behind Nole, where Capt. Maddox stood expectantly, the barrel of his gun pointed their way.

Near Maddox, the blonde haired, blue-eyed boy glanced at Nole briefly, as if trying to relay a message. Embarrassment and guilt flooded Nole upon making eye contact with Taro. He chastised himself over and over again as an overwhelming ache grew in the pit of his stomach. Betty was right all along. I’ve been chasing the wrong guy.

“You!” Maddox shouted. “You're an accomplice of Vale and that girl.” Nole kept his eyes on the Captain, but he imagined Zane brushing off the question behind him, because the expression of anger on Maddox’s face intensified.

“Wait!” Nole warned, placing his arms in front of him in an act of surrender. “He has nothing to do with this.” As soon as the words escaped him, Nole felt like he was having an out of body experience. How did it get to this point? I’m actually defending Zane.

“Chief, please step away from them,” Maddox ordered his superior. “If either of you two move a muscle, I’ll shoot you down.” The sudden coldness in the Captain’s tone froze Nole in place. He’s not bluffing, Nole thought, silently hoping that Zane would abort whatever crazy plan he had in mind.

The shuffling of footsteps came from behind Nole until a figure stepped into the corner of his eye. Turning his head minutely, he saw that it was Chief Caswell. He’s got us. I’ve got to do something. Anything.

“Captain-”

“Quiet!” Maddox roared, interrupting Nole. He’s in no state of mind to hear the truth about Murphy. I’ll have to go about this differently.

“I-I can’t do that!” Nole yelled back. “I can’t do that because I need to tell you Capt. Hadley’s been attacked!” A discreet change in Maddox’s glare gave Nole the okay to speak on. “In conspiracy with the Chief, Sgt. Ryker severely injured Capt. Hadley and killed his own partner. I can prove this because Caswell has Capt. Hadley’s g-”

A sharp crack ripped through the area, creating a resounding echo. The reverberation pulsated in Nole’s mind over and over again, as if he were stuck in a perpetual torture. Besides the ringing in his ears, he was virtually unharmed. Checking on Zane, he hadn’t been shot either.

Did Capt. Maddox miss?

When his eyes befell the Captain, he noticed that he was no longer standing. It wasn’t until the image of Capt. Maddox collapsed on the ground, Taro by his side, that he finally realized what had just happened.

Hadley’s gun. Caswell fired on his own subordinate.

“They fired on the Captain!” Caswell hollered deafeningly, lowering the smoking gun in his hand. His declaration was so loud in that it rivaled the gunshot itself. But that was his intention. “Everyone attack the intruders!” The Enforcer’s in the property below the steps began an all out assault against Taro’s group. Shots were being fired from both sides, and Nole could hear the sounds of all out war.