Part 1 of chapter 4

Chapter 4

Hunters POV

I was sitting down in the pub, my foot tapping the floor as a waited anxiously for Rose to show up. It had been hours since I had confessed to her what I was and what she really was. After all the crying and beating that I received she finally believed me and consented to come with me. 

I rubbed my jaw from where she had hit me. I had met a lot of girls in my life and no other girl I had met could hit like her. She was different.

Of course she was different, I scolded myself, she was a mermaid princess who sympathized with humans. She wasn’t normal; clearly I wasn’t either for agreeing to come find her.

Something heavy hit the floor by my feet, a second later Rose flopped into the chair beside me, a sour expression on her face.

“Why so serious?” I joked grimly, taking a sip of my water. I grimaced, I still couldn’t get used to the taste of it in a human mouth

“Shut up” She snapped “When do we leave?”

I looked at my watch

“Troy said about eleven” I told her “We don’t want anyone in the harbour to see us”

Rose was very pale, it was worrying me. I didn’t like her looking so stressed and so sickly, I reached out and touched her wrist, her skin was kind of clammy.

“You should have some water” I told her “it will help”

She pulled her hand away and she glared at me

“I’m fine” She snapped “I spent half the afternoon in my pool. I can take care of myself”

My temper began to rise before I even had time to stop it.

“Well if you can take care of yourself so well why don’t you just go jump in the ocean and be on your way” I replied icily

“You first” Rose, tossed her golden hair over her shoulder defiantly “I wouldn’t want to ruin my hair”

I clenched my jaw angrily, why did this girl bring out the worst in me?

I was about to open my mouth to shoot back another angry comment when the door to the pub opened and the hair on the back of my neck instantly prickled. Carefully, I turned my head slightly to look out of the corner of my eye. Two large men, who I couldn’t mistake as thugs that were sent here for Rose, were looking around the pub. Rose was oblivious to this, angrily stirring the ice in the glass of water I had forced in front of her. 

“Rose” I said under my breath “Its time to leave”

“It’s not eleven yet” Rose complained loudly “you said…”

The two thugs spotted us and instantly began moving towards us, at that moment it didn’t matter that Rose was a princess and that I was supposed to tip toe around her feelings. All that mattered was that I get her the hell out of there.

“RUN!” I yelled, grabbing her hand and practically dragging her out of the bar. Judging by all the commotion from behind me the thugs were doing their best to catch us and Rose was doing a very good job at not being silent. 

Once we were outside and away from all the people I instantly began looking for a good escape, unfortunately, our boat was nowhere in sight and there was no good place for us to hide on land.

That left only one option.

“What the hell are you doing?” Rose shrieked “You’re leading us to a dead end”

“No” I snapped “I’m taking us to the water”

There was a loud bang, Rose screamed and a bullet hit the water on the left side of the dock beside us. Great, they were shooting at us, that really made things better.

“Hold your breath” I told her

“But” Rose began to protest

“Do it!” I yelled

Another bullet zipped by us just as we reached the end of the dock, I heard Rose take a deep breath the same time I launched myself into the water, dragging her in after me. The second I was in the water I changed, not worry about my clothes, my shorts would be no use to me now anyway.  The bullets were penetrating the water like rain but I was already pulling Rose out of reach deep under the water. I could feel her kicking beside me though her efforts were useless, one beat of my tail was far more powerful than a hundred of her humans kicks. 

I swam until I was pretty sure that Rose was about to turn blue. I turned myself upward towards the silver surface. When my head broke the surface I was appalled to see Rose didn’t pop up quit as fast.

“Rose” I exclaimed, pulling her into my arms “Rose are you okay?”

She was coughing feebly, her eyes dropping, oh god I had kept her under to long.

Before I could stop myself, I pulled her lips to mine, breathing into her. Mermaids had this thing where we could give humans breath, it’s what made them last underwater with us for so long, unfortunately I had forgotten that part. 

I had only gave her one breath before I was met with a gauzier of water in the face right before a fist connected with my nose. Causing me to shout out in pain and let go of her. 

“What the hell!” I yelled, holding my nose

“Did you seriously just kiss me?” Rose shrieked, treading water angrily 

“I didn’t kiss you” I argued “I gave you breath, you were half passed out”

“Because you kept me underwater forever” Rose raged “I could have died!”

“I saved your life!” I shouted “You should be thanking me”

“I was fine until you came here!” Rose yelled “Now im stuck in the middle of the ocean with a fucking mermaid!”

“Merman” I corrected her, causing her to respond with a rather rude hand gesture before she turned away from me

“Now what the hell are we going to do?” She asked, looking around “I can’t tread water forever”

I looked around me, the lights of the docks were far away in the distance now, I guess I had swam a bit farther then I had meant to. It was dark out now, besides the glow of the moon, we had escaped the thugs, but Rose would freeze in this water, and she was right, she couldn’t swim forever.

“Hold onto me” I said “We are getting out of here”

Rose looked over her shoulder, eyeing me warily 

“I can’t hold my breath for a long time” She told me “Il drown”

“Just tap my shoulder when you need air” I said “Il come up for air then”

Rose was still looking at me with distrust but she was beginning to shake now, she was only wearing a thin white tank top and shorts ( I was doing my best not to look) If I didn’t get her out of here she would freeze.

I reached out and pulled her into my arms, surprise at how quickly she latched onto me, wrapping her arms around my neck.

“Where are we going?” She asked me, her voice becoming small and almost afraid

I wrapped my arms securely around her waist, making sure I had a good grip on her. 

“To Troy” I told her “He’s waiting for us, now take a deep breath”

Hey guys, so sorry its taken so long, im lame i know. Anyway, this is only the first half of this chapter, i have way more planned i just have to get some sleep cuz i have a rugby game tomorrow. I will right the second half tomorrow night and hopefully have it up by then. I hope you guys arent mad at me for taking so long.
CHEERS