2 - Breaking My Lamp Is Not Cool

Start from the beginning

My heart hammered in my chest. I pushed away the food, appetite gone. They must have discovered the body. I didn't know if I should be relieved or worried. What if one of the cameras caught my face? I forced myself to push the paranoid thoughts out. The men who had committed the murders would have thought to cut any power lines, or they were some incredibly amateur criminals. No one could have known I was there that night.

"Victoria, there's someone knocking on the door." Flora's voice snapped me back to reality. I rubbed my eyes, finally comprehending what she had said. There was someone knocking on the door. Loud, persistent knocks that almost broke our door down.

"Stay here, I'll get it." I said quickly.

The Checke residents never got visitors. Ever. I doubted anyone knew there was even a family living in the apartment building. To passerby, it just looked like a run-down haunted house. I straightened myself out as best as I could and walked to the door.

"Who is it?" Flora shouted from the living room.

I opened the door, ready to greet whoever it was. But there was no one there. I poked my head out, disappointment and relief washing through me. Disappointment because it would have been nice to talk to someone other than Flora, and relief because then no one could see what a horrid place we lived in. A light in the hallway flickered. I shut the door.

"No one."

I was about to walk back to Flora when she appeared in the living room doorway. Her blue eyes trailed above my head and she smiled.

"Hi!" she shouted happily.

I could feel my eyebrows knit together. Confusion swirled around in my brain, and then slow understanding. Flora wasn't even looking at me, but behind at the person who had knocked. I was about to whirl around when something cold pressed against my lower back. Flora's eyes were still happily examining whatever she saw behind me.

"Hello." a deep voice answered my little sister.

I shrieked and stumbled back to Flora. There was a man standing in the doorway. Two others flanked behind him. I looked down and realized that it was a gun he had pressed to my back. His large body covered most of the doorway, and muscles rippled his body. His eyes were strikingly grey, and his chiseled features made my heart pound. He had dark hair that was effortlessly messy. He was wearing all black and looked dangerously handsome. I mean, he was freaking gorgeous.

But also a killer. It had to be the same men I had seen the night before. The ones they were hunting who had killed that man on the news. Flora whimpered behind me.

His metal eyes trailed over me, and his body stiffened. Something bright flickered through his eyes, like a flash of gold. I must've been imagining things. The man turned his face up. It looked like he was sniffing the air, but it couldn't have been. No one sniffs the air like a dog. I pushed Flora behind me protectively.

The two men behind him made a move to come into the hallway, but the handsome man growled at their sudden movement. It didn't even sound human. Flora had finally decided that these men were bad, and ran into the living room. I sent a silent prayer that she had called the cops or left. I didn't care what happened to me, but hurting Flora would kill me.

"Don't touch me!" I shrieked as the man came towards me. His red lips tugged up in a smirk and he took no motion to stop. I stumbled back, almost falling again on the door's threshold. Before I could fully turn and escape, his thumb shot out and flicked my chin.

I didn't know what was happening. A warm feeling ran up my face from his simple touch. It felt as though a thousand butterflies filled my stomach and were gently trying to get out. Fiery trails emanated from the place he had touched. I jumped back and rubbed the spot vigorously.