Chapter 29: 5.13.1 The Song Remains the Same

Start from the beginning

"'Was'?" he repeated. Cassandra nodded sadly, tapping her knuckles on the tabletop twice.

"Yeah. An angel killed her and my best friend not that long ago and a demon killed my sister." John's face fell. Cassandra cleared her throat, quickly regaining her composure as she forced a smile on her lips. "But it's okay now. They're happy in Heaven and they know I'm okay." John nodded slowly, unsure of how to react to her words. It wasn't exactly something you heard everyday.

"You can hang with John and I," Dean told her, referring back to her original question. "We could use your help, especially since you're armed and I gave the blade to Sam." The blonde nodded and followed the two over to the window.

~*~

Dean and Cassandra stood out on the porch of the old house, Cassandra's hands tucked inside her pockets as the chilly night air nipped at her skin. Dean raised his eyebrows, bouncing on the balls of his feet. "Alright. Talk. What is it with John that's got you so jumpy?" Dean asked. The blonde sighed and shook her head, running a hand through her hair.

"The first time Michael took me to Heaven, the way I saw him wasn't the way his vessel is that he uses when he pays visits," Cassandra started. Dean furrowed his eyebrows, shaking his head.

"Of course not. You see his true face."

"Not in the beginning, I didn't. He looked like John, Dean. Exactly like this version of John and now I'm just waiting for him to toss me around like a rag doll until I say yes. It's a stupid fear but after everything that's happened...I can't help it," Cassandra explained. Dean sighed and ran a hand down his face, glancing towards the house before looking back to his girlfriend.

"Cassy, John won't hurt you."

"I know that, Dean, but the memory is burned in my brain. I still have nightmares about that day and seeing John doesn't help." Dean frowned.

"You're still having nightmares?" Cassandra looked away after realizing she had slipped up. "Princess, I thought those stopped when we got together," Dean said. She nodded, her voice cracking as she spoke.

"And they did...until Carthage. After that it was like whatever progress I had made just disappeared and I was back to square one. I've barely slept because every time I close my eyes I see Lucifer or I see those Hellhounds getting Jo. I can still hear the explosion. It's haunting. It's all piling up and I'm just waiting to break. I'm too far gone," Cassandra told him. Dean reached out and cupped her cheek. Cassandra nuzzled her cheek in his hand, her eyes fluttering closed at the warmth he sent radiating throughout her body.

"You're not too far gone, baby. If I can come back after everything I've been through then so can you. Let's just get through this, save my parents, and then we can go home and find a way to relax and help you, okay?" Dean told her softly. Cassandra nodded, opening her eyes to see Dean smiling down at her in a loving way.

"Okay," she whispered.

"Let's go see if they need any help."

The couple headed inside, Dean wrapping a towel around his left hand from the blood sigils. Mary stopped pouring holy oil and looked up upon hearing their footsteps. "Okay. You said you'd explain everything when we had a minute. We have a minute. Why does an angel want me dead?" Mary demanded. Dean glanced over at the other room as he leaned against the doorway before looking back to his mother.

"'Cause they're dicks."

Mary chuckled and shook her head. "Not good enough. I didn't even know they existed, and now I'm a target?" Dean sighed.

"It's complicated," Dean said.

"Fine." Mary set down the jar of holy oil and stood up, holding her arms out around her as gesture of listening. "All ears." Dean glanced away for a moment before returning his gaze to the blonde.