II. Arena Blowout

They soon came to the house Jak called home, it was a two story hut that overlooked the ocean. It was built for two, but he didn't have a roommate yet.

Just then Dei staggered to the ground in silent pain, "Are you alright?" Jak asked as he struggled to get to his feet again.

He leaned into Jak as he clutched at his chest in pain, sweat beaded on his forehead as he gritted his teeth, "Ah...my Core is messing with me again..."

Shadow went to his aid, "We gotta get that thing out of you then!"

'What is he talking about exactly?' Daxter whispered as Shadow brought Dei inside.

'I have no idea.'

They went inside to see that Dei was lying on the couch without a shirt on, powerful muscles ripples across his sides with every breath. Shadow was removing the charred bandages from his upper chest with careful paws, "Ugh...It's getting worst."

"I know..." He wheezed, "I know..."

Jak was surprised when silvery steam billowed up around Shadow, making the cat hack and cough as he climbed off of him, "Stay back," he told Jak, "His Core's smoke is acrid."

Daxter hopped off of Jak's shoulder and climbed onto the back of the couch and went to Dei's shoulder as he steamed, "Hey big guy," the Ottsel said sitting down against his head with his elbow on Dei's forehead, "You're going to have to tell us everything about yourself before we can trust you."

"Daxter-"

Dei took a deep breath as he looked over at the Ottsel, "It is alright, Jak...I'm used to it..."

He brought his hands up to his chest and groaned as he touched something within the steam. Black smoke spilled up through the steam as he sat up, Dei set a deep purple crystal before him. Jak looked down at it to see that it was carved into a perfect pentacle and glowed with an inner light, "Is that..."

"Aye," Dei uttered, "Dark Eco Ore. This is my curse, my burden, my Eco Core..."

"But it's Dark Eco!"

Daxter threw his hands up in defense, "Whoa! Don't tell me you get all nasty when you're pissed off too!"

Dei smirked as he looked at the Ottsel, "Maybe I do...maybe I don't. All shall be revealed in the Arena of sand and blood..."

"Actually, it's at the bottom of a volcano." Jak replied.

"How interesting..."

He sighed as he waved the smoke away, it cleared to show that he had swirly scars burnt across his skin. Daxter reached out and touched one, "What are these for?"

"They show the focus of my power, that is why I keep them covered...so the enemy is ignorant..."

"Well, do you want some armor for the Arena?" Jak asked.

"If you'd got any to spare..."

Jak went down the hall from the spacious living room and into his room, he went up to his dresser and pulled out an outfit that was similar to his, but was made of a black material that was slightly thicker. It had precursor metal greaves and fingerless gloves with reinforced knuckles for hand-to-hand combat.

The reason Jak wouldn't wear it was because it was made for someone who was a lot taller than him with broader shoulders. He draped it over one arm and grabbed the matching goggles(which were made of black leather with blue lenses) before going back to the living room where Dei sat back in his seat while Shadow braided his hair, "See if this fits you."

He put a hand up, "Wait a moment..."

Shadow finished his hair and got the googles for him, Dei slowly put them on like how Jak had them. It looked somewhat weird seeing him in them, Jak took Daxter out of the room as Dei dressed.