Chapter 9- "She'd killed a Smurf"

Start from the beginning

I gently flipped it open to the inner title page and saw loopy yet elegant handwriting that read, "You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you-" . I smiled at the famous quote by the ever so charming character, Mr. Darcy. At the end of the quote it said, "From Lucy". I closed the book and stuck it back where I found it. That was the cutest thing I'd ever seen.

Suddenly, there was a startling knock at the door that made me close the closet swiftly. I scrambled to the door and opened it, peering out of it. I blinked in awe at the girl in front of me; She had electric blue hair, cherry red lips, and defined cheekbones. But her sparkling green eyes gave her identity away, she was Lucy. She looked like she'd killed a Smurf and used it to dye her hair. I felt plain compared to her, in my sweater and jeans while she looked alive and daring.

I noticed that her brows were knitted and she curiously looked at me up and down.

"Are you in the wrong room or...?" She questioned. I could already tell by her expression that she was assuming things of why I was in her mate's room.

"What?! I um no. I well," I fumbled, "my name's Dee-- I mean Destiny."

God. I was completely embarrassing myself as usual. I don't think there would ever be a day where I would make out a proper sentence without the awkwardness.

She grinned and nodded.

"Oh, I understand now. My bad!" She replied kindly, her green eyes looking past my shoulder and examining the room. I stepped aside, opening the door wider.

"You can come in, Lucy," I said. Oops, I'd forgotten that she hadn't even told me her name yet. Did that make me look like a stalker?

"Ah, so Alex has already introduced me without me being there, again," She commented, rolling her eyes with a smile. I noticed that at the mention of his name, her bold eyes softened. I smiled.

She was going through his desk and then pulled out a piece of paper.

"Phew, I thought I'd never find this," She said to me. "Anyways, sorry if I disturbed you, Destiny. I heard you're only 17 and pretty new to the pack, so if you need anything, I'm on the second floor, room 204."

She was about to walk out of the room before I quickly managed to yell out something.

"Wait!" I yelped. 

She turned around and raised an eyebrow at me expectantly.

"I kind of need a coat and I was just wondering if you had one that I could borrow."

Lucy nodded animatedly.

"No problem, follow me!"

I closed the door behind me and took after her.

"Jeez, everyone is so nice around here..." I mumbled.

"Haha, are we?" Lucy laughed. My eyes widened.

"Oh God, did I just say that out loud?" I sighed.

Lucy's laughter echoed through the corridor. We leapt down the marble stairs, and surprisingly I didn't even fall. I continued to follow her to the second floor which I noticed was a bit more lively than the quiet third floor, people moved past me and a few of them still glanced at me, the new comer.

"You said we're all so nice here," Lucy said, turning a key in a brown door," why, what was it like at your old pack?"

"It was pretty much... Straight up, I guess," I quietly replied, fingering the edges of my sweater. There were a million other things I could've said about my old pack-- The way they stopped including me, how they isolated me, how my old friends turned on me so fast-- But I didn't. I just wanted to forget about all of those things. Besides, no one here had to know how weak and intimidated I'd been. it would just embarrass me even more.

"Ah, I see. Anyhow, I bought this coat the other day and after I washed it, holy crap, it didn't fit me anymore! I didn't know what to do with it but now I can see that it'll probably fit you," Lucy chortled, stepping into her bedroom.

Her room was as big as Alex's upstairs but she didn't have a humongous bed. The walls were painted pale yellow and she had an overall bright room. I noted that in the corner of her room laid a bunch of sports equipment ranging from soccer balls to snowboards. 

As I observed her room, Lucy pulled out a long beige coat with chestnut coloured buttons. I gaped at it. It looked so expensive. 

"Uh, are you sure that's the one?" I asked.

She beamed and handed it to me. I clutched the soft suede coat in my hand and silently marveled at the thickness and luxurious quality of it. This would definitely keep me warm in the endless snow out there.

"It'll look great on you," Lucy smiled. She then glanced at her silver watch and yelped.

"Shit, I have to get going!" She murmured. "I have a snowboarding tournament very soon." 

I thanked her and then left her room. In the hallway, I shrugged on the coat. To my surprise, it fit snugly and felt comfortable. The material was light, soft, and opulent. Lucy probably wore these type of clothes all of the time. But whatever, clothes didn't define a person.

Tell that to Dominic, a voice in my head sneered. My voice.  That whole other part of me that wouldn't let him go. It would always find a way to connect everything back to him. Such as if I were brushing my teeth, my mind would suddenly remember Dom's all time favourite brand of toothpaste. Or I could even be thinking about socks and remember how he would always get me a new pair of fuzzy ones for Christmas. 

It got tedious that I thought about him so often when he probably forgot about me the day he rejected me. It wasn't just the fact that a part of my mind couldn't let him go, it was that every time I'd think about him, a sliver of pain would arrive. Maybe if we hadn't been best friends, then the mate pull right now wouldn't have been so strong. Why did a rejection have to mentally scar me this way?

Yet I didn't regret being his best friend. Hell, even though it had caused me so much pain in the end, I would do it all over again for those breathtaking childhood memories he'd given me. Dom had always been that one goody, cool friend that was always down for adventures. I snickered, remembering that one time when he was ten and got stuck at the very top of a towering oak tree. I had to call the Alpha to get him out and he'd been angry.

"Don't stand in the middle of the hallway, foreigner," Demanded a gruff voice, dragging me back to reality. I was about to glare at him but didn't when I saw a huge guy covered in tattoos and had multiple piercings in interesting places. 

"Sorry," I mumbled, moving to the side, letting the enormous man walk past. God there were so many different types of people in this pack. I thought of graceful Rosalind, hyper Rory, athletic Lucy, and of course mature Alex. Would an awkward book nerd like me really fit in to this pack? Well, only time would tell. 

The thought of being an awkward book nerd reminded me that I needed to find some new reading material. I guess it was time to find out whether this town had a library now that I'd successfully acquired a coat. 

***********************************************************************

Hi guys! Sorry this chapter was kinda short, but to make up for it, the next chapter will (hopefully) be updated pretty soon :))

Alrighty, so y'all met Lucy in this chapter-- What did you think of her? 

And ew school is starting for me soon :( When school does start though, I'll probably have a weekly updating schedule that I'll tell you about later.

I hope you guys are enjoying this story so far, thank you for voting and reading, it makes me so happy to wake up to your comments <3 

As usual, I'll catcha later ✌️

-Popclouds