Chapter 28- "The day you grow taller than me"

*Please vote :) *

I almost started laughing at the spite of the situation.

Did you ever think a broken girl like you could be wanted?  Sneered a voice in my head as I took in the scene before me-- To a normal human, it may have looked like an extremely pretty young woman and a handsome young man were having a casual conversation over coffee; but to a werewolf, there was no denying the obvious atmosphere of electrifying sparks and attraction in the room.

There were a million things I wanted to do in that very moment. I wanted to scream until my voice gave out, I wanted to cry until my tears ran out, I wanted my shattered heart to build itself back together. There were so many things I wanted that just seemed out of reach.

I couldn't bring myself to do any of those things though when I saw Alex's eyes. Although they were full of surprise, they had a glassy dream-like aura in them that I had never seen before. And I knew he deserved it. It would be pure selfishness to chain Alex to me, when his only real chance at true happiness was sitting mere inches away from him. It wasn't fair to him that he would get stuck with a broken girl when he had the opportunity to claim someone designed for him.

Hence, when Arizona's violet eyes met my own in pure confusion, I mustered up all of the courage I possibly had and smiled. That year I had spent when I was sixteen, I had to put on a fake smile almost everyday, so why would it be so much harder now?

Because you love him.

Ignoring the thought, I took a tentative step towards the two.

"Arizona, hi-- How've you been?" I croaked.

"Dee. . Is Alex your mate?" she whispered, tilting her head ever so slightly. Her voice was calm and soothing and her lavender coloured eyes were filled to the brim with genuine concern. She wasn't even angry or upset. She was perfect for Alex.

But at the same time I said "No", Alex said "Yes". His green eyes flitted to me in shock. I took a deep breath and faced her.

"No, Arizona, he's your mate," I uttered. There. Now that I'd said it, it was true and there was no turning back.

"Dest," Alex pleaded. "Destiny, listen. We need to talk."

Arizona nodded, obviously baffled. She stood up and smoothed out her white lace shirt without the slightest amount of trembling. I couldn't fathom her calmness. I couldn't handle it. It would've been better if she screamed or at least looked upset, for God's sake, I was stealing her fucking mate. As she strolled out of the room quietly I remembered that since she was his mate, she would've been a Luna. Her personality suddenly made sense now. Guilt filled me to the brim as I sat in her spot. Alex reached across to grab my hand in his but I pulled away quickly. He flinched.

"Don't," I choked out, not meeting his eyes. I had mentally promised myself that I wouldn't cry, because if I did then Alex would feel bad and wouldn't make the right decision. Yet I quivered as tears threatened to spill at any second.

"Dest, please. I'm not going to pick her over you," Alex murmured softly. He got up and sat beside me, cupping my face in his hand and pulling it down to face his eyes.

I loved him so much that it hurt. The way his emerald green eyes softened as he looked at me made me want to cry even harder.

"It's not f-fair. ." I stuttered, my head spinning.

"I know it's not Dest, but look how far we've made it. I know your life has been hard, though I will always--"

"No!", I cried, interrupting him. "It's not fucking fair for you, Alex. I mean look at her, you can't deny that she's perfect for you. She's sweet and gorgeous and mature. You deserve your happiness Alex, seriously. After all you've been through from losing your family to your brother and getting pushed around as an Omega, you deserve to be with a legitimate mate. I'm not saying what we had wasn't special, damn, it was the best thing that's ever happened. But a-all good things come to an end someday,"