Chapter Eight

I was rushing out of the door even before Christopher could stop me. I was not taking any chances in him taking my money back from the cashier and using his own instead. A sense of victory washed over me, the fact that I was able to beat Christopher into paying for the bill without him realising.

" Hey, you didn't have to do that. I invited you out for dinner, it only makes sense if i get the bill," he grabbed my arms, putting me to a stop in my tracks. We were outside by now, standing at the sidewalk, with cars passing us by.

" It's only fair, since you paid for our previous meal," I smiled bashfully, still content at my victory.

" But I'm the adult here, with a job. I should be the one paying for our meals," he sighed, still unwilling to let go of the matter.

" But it'll be lopsided then. Are you insinuating that you pay for all the meals with your friends? How is that fair?"

" Well, I do pay occasionally, as a treat. But that is because we are friends. I think by now you can kind of realise that I am trying to you know..." he trailed off, not completing his sentence. His face was flushed crimson, hands rubbing his neck.

" You are trying to?"

" Pursue you. I'm trying to pursue you."

I was shocked at his forwardness. I didn't expect him to mention his intentions so clearly and loudly. A part of me was wishing that our so called blossoming relationship could remain unspoken for a little while longer. All this new feelings and interaction were ruffling me up. I felt like I was in a deep pool trying to push myself up. Christopher seemed so collected all the time. He seemed to know what he is doing and I'm breathless just by trying to keep up with him.

His confession was just so unexpected. Lets face it, It was as good as him saying he likes me? He wont be pursuing someone he doesn't like right? I'm not sure how he wanted to proceed from now on. Do we just casually go out for dinners? Are officially a couple now? My palms were sweating, thinking of such questions.

" I didn't mean to scare you. I just wanted state my intentions clearly, so that you wont think I have any selfish agenda towards you. I promise not to pressure you into anything. I know these are all very new to you. I assure you I have asked permission from your father and he might have mentioned that this will probably be your first time being romantically involved with somebody,"

" You asked my father for permission?" Honestly, that was the only thing that caught my attention, I was too lost in my thoughts to even comprehend his attempt in comforting me.

" I have to admit, I am quite old-fashion. Your parents blessings will always be the top of my priority. Especially after that little speech you gave about how family is important to you. After such passion, of course I had to ask your father first," he smiled sincerely.

My cheeks heated up at the mention of my little outburst in the car ride towards the carnival. I blame the cold weather for my bodily reactions. I will not admit that his words had such effects on my body.

"Wait, how old are you?" I realised I had never questioned his age. For all I know, he might be close to forty years old! Given that he's friends with my dad after all.

" I'm twenty-six years old. Medical school was making me grow white hair," chuckled Chris.

" You oldie!" Somehow despite my teasing, I kind of liked the difference in age between us. I feel that it is just enough for him to be more matured and responsible but also not too much that he becomes my father.

Christopher flicked my nose while chuckling. Clearly not at all offended by my teasing.The light-heartedness is what I enjoy most during conversations with Chris. But what would I know at such an early stage of getting to know each other. I was glad for the temporary divert in conversation. I was still unsure of how I would want to go about with things. As for my infatuation towards Chris? Well, that is kind of a no brainer.

The stars were illuminating the night. It got significantly chillier after our dinner. The darkness was a good indication that we spent at a minimum of two hours eating dinner. The night seems to be coming to an end yet I feel that it is still very young. Maybe this is just me wanting to spend more time with Christopher. It hasn't even been a month since I met him yet I am already addicted to his company. God please help me.

" Are you cold?" Chris seemed to notice my arms hugging me body tightly, as much as possible trying to trap the warmth.

" Nah, I'm fine. Nothing I can't handle." I was not going to be a damsel in distress. Thank you very much.

" Keep lying to yourself sweetheart." Chris was already placing his suit jacket over my shoulders. The warmth that invaded me was comforting. His smell was the first thing that I noticed. I wouldn't mind having this scent around me at all times.

" I should be getting you home soon," mentioned Chris, his hands were back in mine. It's amazing how all these affectionate touches seems so natural and innocent. It was nice that Chris was such a gentlemen and was willing to take things slow for my sake.

" Yeah, my father will start worrying if I'm not home soon." There was disappointment in my voice. I guess it had to end sooner. It was already a bonus that I got to see him earlier than Friday.

" That won't reflect well on me then. We better get you back fast. Wouldn't want to loose brownie points with your father," his voice was light, trying to cheer me up. Somehow he seemed to be as disappointed that our night was ending.

" Please, you know he adores you. I won't be surprised if It's more than me!" I accused enjoying the twinkle in his eyes when I mentioned my father. And It was true. So far Chris has proven to be respectful and kind. The two things that I very much adore in a man.