Harry groaned loudly and XJ sighed at his incompetence. Fairy Godmother paid him no attention and instead continued, "The fifth rule is everything we're about to cover. I know it sounds like a lot, but don't worry; you should be able to keep up fine as long as you take notes and pay attention."

"Not something I'm very good at, but whatever," Harry muttered under his breath, just loud enough so XJ could hear him. XJ fought the urge to hit him.

Fairy Godmother started teaching. It wasn't rocket science, and everybody in the room was bored to death. Mal's side of the room tried to hide it, but Uma, Gil and Harry weren't even trying. XJ was the only one who seemed to be paying attention.

XJ was trying to find out what type of person Fairy Godmother was. From what she could gather, she was the typical old-fashioned, nagging, motherly woman, which was about what she expected from Jane's mother. She wasn't going to be easy to manipulate, as XJ's type of persuasion was the kind where she preyed on others' desires, as well as occasionally playing on their grudges against a particular person. It worked especially well when that particular person was XJ's target.

Fairy Godmother was a selfless person who didn't seem to take kindly to vengeance. That would be a slight problem. However, if XJ managed to become one of her favorite students, she might be able to play with words and be allowed access to everything on campus at anytime.

"When speaking to a teacher, what should you start with?"

XJ was listening just enough to know when Fairy Godmother asked a question. When she did, XJ raised her hand, something she had seen almost all of the students at Auradon Prep do when answering a question on her way to Remedial Goodness when she was glancing through the small glass windows on the doors.

Harry, Uma and Gil looked at her funny, and Mal and her friends looked shocked at the display of respect.

"XJ?" Fairy Godmother asked, looking pleasantly surprised at the daughter of Shan Yu's sudden politeness.

"You should start with 'May' if you want something and end with 'please'." XJ said, forcing her lips to form a respectful smile.

"Oh, that's very good, XJ," Fairy Godmother praised. "I knew I was right about you! You are a fast learner!"

XJ smiled at the woman, somehow managing to look sincere, "Thank you."

Fairy Godmother turned around and continued talking. Harry leaned closer to XJ and said, his voice low so the woman wouldn't hear him, "This is part of your plan, isn't it?"

"Obviously," XJ said out of the corner of her mouth.

"I trust you, as unnatural and weird as that was for me," Harry muttered.

"Good to know. Things are going well. You can talk to me later so things continue to be that way."

"Aye aye, lass."

---

After the bell rang, XJ and Harry had Chemistry together while Uma and Gil had History of Auradon. As XJ and Harry walked to their lockers to get their books, Mal walked up to XJ and scowled.

XJ raised an eyebrow, "Want something?"

"What are you playing at?" Mal snarled.

"What do you mean?" XJ asked, acting dumb as she opened her locker.

"You know exactly what I mean - people like you don't change that quickly." Mal sneered.

"Or," XJ said, looking extremely nonchalant as she closed her locker door after grabbing what she needed, "I'm determined to become a good person."