"I'm sorry, Kay. You're right. I will ask Father to at least delay such a move until Blayn is older. I don't know if he'll listen to me, but . . . ." She gestured to the castle.

Ketra laughed, brightening her whole face. "Maybe he'll listen to you because he feels guilty. Good point."

Ismene and Ketra shared another brief laugh. Close in age, they'd been the best of friends for as long as Ismene could remember. She had no idea what she'd do without her sister to help her. Ketra was the outgoing one, the beautiful, accomplished one. Ismene couldn't help but think it was Ketra who should be marrying a prince.

A horn blasted from the castle wall, announcing their arrival, and Ismene stiffened. This was all for her, and the very thought of it made her tremble. The people of the castle and surrounding countryside lined the path. Young children ran alongside the horses and threw flower petals at their feet.

Their innocent laughter and the gaiety floating on the currents of air did some to sooth Ismene's discomfort. Everyone seemed happy. Not a face she looked upon held anything but kind regards. Many of the locals waved to her, and one young woman jogged next to her horse and extended a long-stem red rose. Ismene took it from her with a kind smile and a word of thanks.

"If it please your ladyship, think of me in the future. My name is Bimala. I am your humble servant."

With that, the girl who appeared close to Ismene's age halted but continued to smile and wave as the traveling party passed through the gate. Ismene thought she'd not forget Bimala. It might be she'd already made a new friend at Castle Taisce.

Facing forward, the sight of a rather tall young man arrested her attention. Ismene shifted, uncomfortable under his scrutiny, but she dared to stare back. There was something about him—something familiar. The face of a childhood friend flashed before her eyes, but she didn't dare believe it was him. As she drew near, his face transformed with a smile, but he quickly raised the hood of his cloak and melted into the crowd, disappearing. A blush tinged her cheeks, and she looked around to see if anyone had noticed the exchange.

***

The dowager queen Auriette, Prince Othniel's grandmother, met them at the entrance to the keep. The king and prince had been called away three days prior to help with issues of raiders near one of the ranking lords' diamond mines to the north. Queen Auriette assured the Tenbows that the royals would return before the wedding . . . on the morrow. After this brief exchange, Ismene had been shown straight to her temporary room.

A mixture of relief and dread filled her when she found she would not meet the prince until the wedding. It had been her own fault that they'd not come a week before the wedding, as was custom. She'd convinced her father to let her stay at home as long as possible before her world was turned upside down.

Still, it piqued Ismene's curiosity over her betrothed when in the incredibly short time they'd spent within the castle, Helein had learned and relayed that Othniel was said to be handsome, both tall and athletic. Whatever that meant, she didn't quite know. An avid hunter, he preferred falconry over the bow. Ismene should not have been surprised or disappointed, since the mews at Taisce were renowned across Twelve Realms and beyond. Her favored sport was considered a lower-class pursuit, but she loved archery no matter what anyone said concerning its merits. It was one thing she refused to give up. Even the prince could not make her.

Others spoke of him with a sense of awe and respect.

All Ismene could muster was dread.

She would be tied to this complete stranger for the rest of her life, and it did no good to remind herself he'd not always be a stranger. The very thought of him left her feeling helpless, and that tempted the caged beast of fear in her chest to press against its restraints.