Musk-Ox

The distribution range of Musk-Ox today is confined to Greenland and tundra areas of Alaska and Canada. More closely  related to sheep than cattle, this animal is well adapted to the cold, dry climate of the far north. Rain, however, can be extremely dangerous to this animal. Its thick fur becomes completely soaked with water, which can lead to pneumonia and often death as well. Like all animals of the far north, it is a frugal animal. It feeds on grass, lichen, and moss, as well as the leaves and branches of small shrubs.

Against their natural enemies (wolves and  bears), these powerful animals form a sort of fortress with their bodies. The calves are kept in the middle, while the adult animals provide protection on all sides with their dangerous horns. It was because of this information that entire herds could be shot by seal hunters in the last century. When an animal fell dead, the others simply drew closer together in order to protect the calves.

In 1917 the Musk-Ox was placed under protection. Breeding stocks from Greenland variety are now being introduce into Norway, Alaska, and Canada to build new herds. There have also been attempts to domesticate the Musk-Ox in order to open up a new source of food for Eskimos (Inuit tribes) and Native Americans in those regions.