Keep Them Safe

The lone race to my safe house was the longest ride in my life. My bloody hands gripping the steering wheel, making my brown knuckles lighter. My chest heaving, body hot with anger. Teeth clenched so tight, i could break my teeth. My gun is the passenger, along with my phone.

The hot, muggy breeze going through my hair. The soft music in the background adding insult to injury. I remember this song. This song came on the night I met Lauren.

-----
2012

I had just received my driver's license and decided to go on a night drive alone. The streets of Miami were pretty tamed, being it's only 12:46pm. I was driving down 197th Ave., when I see a young woman walking along the sidewalk alone.

I turn my radio down and slowly pull up next to her. I turn the crank of my window, letting it down before calling out, "Hey, are you OK?" She looks over at me, and I was pretty far away from me, but I can tell she was beautiful.

"I'm fine, thanks," she says. She continues to walk and I ride beside her slowly. "Do you need a ride?" She shakes her head no and turns down the street. I follow her, keeping my distance. "Are you sure? It's pretty late. Plus, it gets dangerous this time of night."

She glares at me before replying, "I can handle myself." I chuckle at her and she just looks more angry, "What's so funny?" She demands. "You, mamita. But really, it isn't safe out here at night."

Just then, a loud thunder clap scares us both. Just a second later, it starts pouring down raining. I smile at her gently, "Now, do you want a ride?" She crosses her arms over her chest. "Like I said, I'm fine," she starts walking again when I notice she doesn't have anything to protect herself with.

No jacket, no umbrella. Nothing. She continues walking, but faster. I just sat in my car, watching her. She has a pretty nice ass. I catch up with her, moving in her path. "What the hell?!"

I hop out, grabbing my jacket. "I'm sorry if I'm scaring you, but I don't like when women walk the streets alone." I hold the jacket over her soaked head, waiting for her to walk towards the car. "I don't even know your name?"

Another thunder clap sounds. "Y/N," she nods. "I'm Lauren." She reluctantly starts walking to my car. I open the passenger side for her and she slips in, putting the jacket over her lap.

I run over to the driver's side. I get in and the light washes over us. I look over at Lauren and I nearly gasped. She is beautiful. Her vibrant green eyes and long, damp brown hair compliments her tanned skin. I give her a small smile and she blushes.

"What?" I shake my head, "Nothing, you're just...so beautiful." She runs her hand through her hair, biting her lip. "Th-thanks?" She says, sounding unsure. I put the car in drive and went on until we reached a stoplight. "Where am I going?"

She looks around through the rain covered glass. "Uh, take this right," she finally says. I turn and the car fell silent. The lack of noise made me uncomfortable so I turned the radio up. My favorite song played through the speakers and I start to sing along.

I hear another voice singing, too. I turn to look at Lauren and she's bobbing her head to the music. "You like this song?" I asked, and she nods, "One of my favorites." I raise my eyebrows as she starts to hum the lyrics.

"Turn here then keep straight."

I follow her directions. I turn up the radio slightly, a new song already playing. We both smile at each other and start singing out loud.

We laugh after we finish, enjoying each other's company. We soon pull up in front of her house. I stop her from getting out and I go over to her side. I open her door and she smiles. "Thank you, Y/N," she says.