Secrets

After my visit, I went over to my mom's to see my family. I wanted to surprise them and take my little girl and her mommy out. It's been a while since I really been with them.

I pull up to the address and knock on the door. I hear some giggles and what sounded like... children playing. What other kid is here? Marisol opens the door, leaving it open so I could come in.

I follow her into the living room and my eyebrows knit together in confusion. A little boy, about Jade's age, in Lauren's lap as she tickles him and Jade trying to get her off of him.

My daughter turns around and spots me.

"Mama!!" She runs to my legs, hugging me and I rub her back. "Hey, my love." Lauren looks up and her lip caught between her teeth in nervousness. "Hey, Lauren," I say to her, sitting down beside her.

The little boy looks up at me, the way a small child would look at someone they don't know. "Who's this?" She says nothing, looking any where but me. "Lauren?"

Her eyes finally meet mine and I could see dishonesty, which didn't sit right with me. She doesn't speak and that's when I look to see the children playing.

That's when I noticed it.

"Is he my son?" Her head snaps up, a worried expression on her face. She looks down at him then at me.

"His name's Javier. He's... Jade's twin." My eyes widen, but I don't say anything. I know if I do, I might show a bit of weakness.

Lauren continues, "You weren't there when I had them. You talked about how you always wanted a daughter, so he lives with my brother. He drops him off on weekends."

I clench my fist and stand up, "Let's take this to the kitchen." She nods and follows me to the spacious cooking area.

I lean against the counter with rage in my eyes. "When were you gonna tell me?" She chews on her lip, trying not to look at me. "When, Lauren? " I say sternly. She looks at me with tears in her eyes.

"I didn't want you to be around him." I squint my eyes, putting my hands in my pockets. "Why?"

She sniffs, not saying a word. I chuckle bitterly, "You keep him from me... so that he wouldn't end up like me. Is that it?"

"Y/N, it isn't like that-,"

"Oh, but Lauren, it is just like that. You kept my son away from me. Does he even know of me?" She shakes her head.

"Does he think Chris is his dad?"

"No, I let him know that's his uncle. He'd ask me about you, but I'd change the subject."

I shake my head, standing up. Just then, Mama came downstairs, the twins trailing behind. "Mija-," "Mama, did you know about him?" She sighs, looking at Lauren.

"Yes, I did. I'm sure she told you why."

"It doesn't make sense. I'm around my daughter, but my son is somewhere I'm not."

"Also, we couldn't afford both," Lauren chimes in. She's right. Four years ago, we barely could feed ourselves. Everything went to Jade.

I sigh and Lauren grabs onto my short sleeved flannel. "Do you understand now?" I nod, "I do, but I still don't like the fact I didn't know he existed. I may not've been there, but I'm still his mother," I glance at him as I said that.

He gives me a cute smile, causing me to return. 

Mama coos, "He looks just like you when you were that age, mija." I smile a little more. I crouch down to Javier's level then looked over at Lauren, "English or Spanish?"

"He understands both."

I turn back to the boy and he starts playing with his fingers.

"Hey, Javier. I'm your other mommy. I'm sorry I wasn't there for you," I say to him.

He cracks another adorable smile and throws his arms around me.

"It's okay."

I notice he's taller than Jade, even though they are twins. He must be gotten that from my side.

It's hard to not claim them since they have my skin complexion, looks almost exactly like me, but have their mother's eyes.

Our kids are beautiful.

I pick him up and make him fly around like a plane. He giggles and I notice Maritza looks jealous. I pit him down and smile at my little girl. "Lauren, get their boosters. We're going out for the day."

———
*Short chapter. We met your kids to ease off of the intensity a little.