Chapter 9: Death By Clown

Start from the beginning

            Everything went black.

            I woke up in an awkward position. I was in room with crooked floors and neon lights, and I couldn't remember how I had gotten there. It was cold. So cold, that I could see my breath and my skin burst into gooseflesh. The room spun, even from the floor, like a carousel. I stared up at the ceiling, beginning to frown. I could no longer remember why or how I entered the funhouse, or even how much time I had passed.

            The last thing I could remember was everything freezing around me. David, sitting on the bench, unable to move.

            My heart clenched.

            "David?" I sat up, searching the room with my eyes. "David, where are you?"

            "You can help me, can't you?"

            I looked up towards the voice, finding a little girl with wavy blonde hair. She stood with her back to me, facing a mirror that didn't reflect herself.

            I kept my distance from her. "W-w-who are you?" I stuttered out, then slowly took in the room. "Where...am I?"

            The girl started to sob, covering her face with her hands, back still to me. "Mr. Wiggles is gone. The Bad Man took him!" 

            The Bad Man. 

            "Who are you?" I inquired again, more firmly. "Turn around and face me." 

            "I'm you!" the little girl sobbed, whirling around.

            I must have went as pale as White Out.

             To my utter disbelief, the girl's eyes were identical to mine, filled with tears, but her hair was blonde, which puzzled me.

            I shook my head, fighting the figment of my imagination. "You're not me. You're not me." I stumbled back against a wall. "You're not real!"

            "Of course I'm you! I'm you, before you died!" The little girl rushed towards me before I could get away, hugging my leg. "You don't remember me anymore, do you? I remember you. Death! That was his name. He's a bad man! He took Mr. Wiggles! He said--he said he was going to do awful things to him, just like he's going to do to us! He's evil!"

             A chill violently overtook my body. "'There is no peace,' says the Lord, 'for the wicked...' There is no peace,' says the Lord...." a distant memory whispered.

            A twinge of pain throbbed inside of my skull. "This can't be real. This is..." I blinked hard, head throbbing. "There's a reason why I'm in here, I just can't remember..."

            The little girl wiped at her tears. "All I wanted was Mr. Wiggles before I died. That's all I wanted! Here, I'll show you where I lost him! Where Death took him from me!"

            Grudgingly, I let the girl guide me into another part of the funhouse until we stood in front of a large spinning disk, still holding hands. While the disk was stationary, usually a worker would get on and sit in the center, then the operator would start the disk spinning, and people would be thrown off by centrifugal force, ending up against a padded wall. 

             "Faith!" my mother's voice shouted from all directions.

            The little girl and I whirled around at the same time, saying, "Mom?" "Mommy?"