Part 1: Iwatobi High

A/N

I stated this in the intro but since some people don't read it, I'll state it here too. I am not using Japanese suffixes in this story (sorry).

[Name]'s POV

"[L/Name], you're up," I glance up at my coach who smiles down at me. "400IM right?" I ask nervously and she sweatdrops. "Of course you forgetful dork," she smacks my head with her clipboard making me pout. "There's so many people here...it's actually kind of nerve wracking," I chuckle while putting on my goggles and then swim cap. "Well this race is international and being televised everywhere, plus there are hundreds of colleges looking for new swimmers to recruit," my coach giggles as she walks me over to my lane. "Damn that means I have pressure on me," I mutter with a gloomy aura.

"Oh stop pouting and get in the damn pool," she gains a tick mark and smacks me with the clipboard again making me fall into the water. I resurface blowing bubbles as everyone in the stands goes silent "Thanks Coach T," I mutter as the other swimmers jump into their lanes. 'So backstroke, breaststroke, butterfly, then freestyle...how tiresome' I sigh and grab the metal bar under the starting platform. I position my feet and look up at my coach before yawning, making her sweatdrop and anime fall. "Take your mark," the announcer says and I pull myself up so I can dive in backwards. My heart beat speeds up in my chest as I anticipate the buzzer.

Buzz...

I smirk and arch my back, pushing off the wall before diving into the cool water. 'One, two, three, four...' I mentally count each one of my dolphin kicks before breaking out of the water at my strongest and going into my backstroke. I zone out everyone around me and concentrate on the movement of my arms and legs. Each time I bring my arm out of the water my other arm enters, pulling me towards the goal...the wall. I keep my eyes focused on the ceiling and the familiar flags come into view 'I'm at the five meter mark' I realize and propel my arms behind me a few more times before rolling onto my side and doing my flip-turn.

My feet touch the wall and I push off with my arms extended above my head. My legs press together and I dolphin kick through the water before breaking out back into my backstroke. I keep my eyes trained on the ceiling as I propel through the water. With every reach of my arm behind me I know I'm a step closer to winning 'I can do this' I smirk slightly and the flags come into my view again. Five meters, four meters, three...two...one...now. My hand touches the wall and I do a bucket-turn and push off going into my dolphin kicks.

'Breaststroke' I remind myself as I pull myself up out of the water before going back in. My arms push out from my chest and I'm propelled up into the air again for less then a second. My legs kick out and separate, perfectly timing themselves with the movement of my arms. Every time my head ducks under the water I appreciate the clear view of the pool and the fact that no one else is in front of me. 'Don't mess with me when I'm in my realm' I smirk and the wall starts to get closer to me.

Once the wall is close enough I glide forward and touch it, starting my open-turn. I grab the edge of the wall and pull myself close, turning my body so my feet press against it. Within a millisecond I push off and dolphin kick through the water before entering back into my breaststroke. My arms pull me up out of the water slightly before I dip my head back under. The cool water surrounds my body with each stroke I take and I smile in content 'This is my favorite place to be' I grin and start swimming even faster.

The wall starts to close in on me and I start my open-turn into my butterfly stroke. Once I breakthrough the water I grin and dive back under doing a few dolphin kicks before my arms push me back up out of the water. For a brief second I hear the crowd cheering but it becomes muffled as I go under water again. 'Dolphin kick, dolphin kick, stroke' I mentally say and my body follows my orders. My legs kick twice under the water before my arms extend outwards and propel me up and out of the water slightly.