Episode 4 - Part 2

Forcing my eyes open, I'm standing in the middle of the campsite, holding the black, serrated swords. There's yellow ichor and translucent purple pieces of wind spider all over the place. The tents are even more shredded than before.

"What the? What happened here?"

I can feel my heart calming down. Tilting my head to the side and closing my eyes, I can't find the buzzing. It's gone.

Staring at the swords and then at my arms, and then the rest of my body, I see I'm covered in the yellow wind spider blood and pieces of gunk that I don't even want to think about. The only wounds I can find on myself are light cuts and scratches.

"Wait, I did this? Those things haven't been dead long, they're barely translucent!"

Squinting at the campsite battlefield, I pick out about a half-dozen or so see-through purple carcasses of wind spiders.

"Yig me."

Something twitches beside me.

I let out a soul-curdling yell and drive both blades through it hard.

Breathing heavy, my eyes wide, I wait.

The wind spider leg doesn't move.

I take a step back, ready for it. But nothing happens.

Then a laugh escapes. "Yeah, really scary. A swarm of wind spiders, you do it in your sleep. But a twitchy dead one? That one you go full barbarian on."

I scrape some of the muck off my face and dust off my hands. Rolling my shoulders and straightening up, I grimace as my muscles inform me that the battle did have some cost.

Grabbing hold of one of the swords, I wiggle it back and forth until it finally comes out of the wind spider carcass.

Scanning about to make sure no one's waiting for their moment to strike, I wiggle the other one loose.

A heavy sigh escapes as all my adrenaline leaves, and I feel just how exhausted my body is.

I drag my sorry self over to the two travel trunks. Dropping down, I lean my head against a trunk and close my eyes for a minute.