"Merman," Kai corrects.

Rath scoffs and gives a devilish grin. "All I see is a fish with a borrowed pair of legs. Mostly likely from the last person you killed. Do me a favor and swim back to daddy before I take your soul and trap it in a fish tank."

For someone as old as he is, he's is very immature. If he is supposedly the Demon King that would mean that I am standing before the second angel to ever fall from heaven. He is Satan's biggest and most trusted ally. Inferus has never changed rulers since the beginning of time and I doubt it ever will. Demons are the very first immortal beings to inhabit the earth.

"Demon King?" I tilt my head, trying to challenge the demon again. "Prove it."

Rath gives me a dangerous look and I cross my arms over chest. A voice, which belongs to a person who is long overdue, breaks the awkward silence and greets us. It isn't exactly cheerful greeting, it's more of the grunt than anything.

"There you are," Valentine whispers in my ear causing my entire body to shiver in delight.

Kai leaves with a huff and walks off to drink a big glass of water. Vampires and mermaids are not the best of friends - their relationship is like cat and mouse. There was a time when the ties between the creatures were strong and unbreakable, but nothing lasts forever. With three mermaids killed, it only worsens the lines between the two kingdoms.

Valentine wraps his arm around my waist and pulls me close to him. Rath stares at the two of us with a bewildered expression. I notice that his gaze is lingering longer on mine than Valentine's and it's beginning to worry me. It's evident that he knows a lot more about Scarlett's situation than he lets on. If he's as powerful as he states, he should know all the inner workings of Inferus and even hell - he answers to Satan himself.

"Rath," Valentine acknowledges with a nod.

"Valentine," Rath says with a tense filled voice.

"What's going on here?" Valentine inquiries with nothing but apathy dripping in his voice. I'm surprised he even thought to ask that.

"Nothing," I reply too quickly as Rath was about to respond.

Valentine gives me a look that can match Rath's, one that is hard and serious. His brow arches above his eye as he stares me down then looks at Rath. Right then, I wanted to rip the demon's huge smirk off of his face and kick him back to hell.

I give the Demon King a subtle look of pleading but he only returns it with a wink. It's definitely not a good time to bring up Scarlett and to discuss his plans about my soul.

"You're one lucky vampire, Valentine," Rath drawls only making my body feel hotter than it already was. "No one gets a second chance like this, especially with the same girl."

My eyebrows come together over my eyes as Valentine's jaw tightens, letting me see his defined cheekbones and muscles on his neck. He doesn't reply to Rath's comment and that shocks me even more. It's not like Valentine to allow himself to be stepped on like this.

"Well, I'm off," Rath says while pulling out a pair of sunglasses from his jacket pocket. He places them over his eyes and I eye my own reflection on the lenses. "Tell Datura, that if she wants a throne, we have the perfect place for her at the bottom of the pit. And as for your coronation," he points to me. Even though his glasses are blacked out, I can see the fire blaze in his irises. "Send me an invite, I'll bring the party."

Without another word the Demon King confidently walks out of the council room. What does he mean by my coronation? What the hell does he know about me being Queen? Is there something I'm missing here? Amaryllis did see me as Queen, but that would only happen if I choose to do it.

Something tells me Rath is going to be around for a while. I can't help but doubt all the things he said. Demons are beguiling creatures with no sense of truth and honesty. I wonder what sins he committed as an angel to be cast out of heaven. Could it just be because he wanted to join Lucifer and army?
I give Valentine a quizzical look but he returns it with darkened eyes and rough features. He takes my hand and squeezes it in his, making me gasp as tingles erupt.

"Come," he says in a voice so deep it hits me to the core.

Hastily, Valentine leads me out of the room and back to the garage where our car is parked. My body is electrified everywhere he touches and it's getting hard to me to walk. He pushes me against the car with a hard thud and presses his hips against me. Valentine's hands fall on my waist as his eyes devour every inch of my body. Heat, so fast and sharp, blazes through my entire body.

"What did you really talk about with Rathmoor?" His voice is husky and deep enough to cause tingles in my ear.

"Is that jealousy I detect?" I tease while running my fingers down his covered chest.

"Jealousy seems to be a mutual feeling between you and me," he whispers in my ear. "Come now, kitten, tell me."

I feel my heart drop an insane height as his words penetrate my chest. I gnash my teeth together and dodge his mouth as it makes its way to my neck. I laugh the emotions away and look him straight in the eyes. "I tried to get his name," I say truthfully.

"You know perfectly well that he won't give you his name. He's a demon for hell's sake." He shakes his head in disbelief and he grinds his hips further into mine, making my moan and stop thinking altogether. "You expect me to believe that that's all you talked about?"

"Well, Kai came in and we talked about his hot legs," I snicker, lighting his internal fire even more. Valentine ignores my crude comment. "Val, we were just talking. Do you not trust me?"

"I trust you. It's him I don't trust." He frowns and his irises start to cloud over with black indicating his anger and jealousy. "Rath is the most dangerous, most vile demon in the underworld. I don't want him near you and I don't want you speaking with him unless I am around. Understand?"

I nod vigorously agreeing mainly because of the tone of his voice. It was hard edged, commanding voice of dominating male.

"Do you understand?" His voice was even stricter that time. I thought about opposing to see what his reaction would be but we've hurt each other enough.

"Yes," I breathe out, anxiously.

Valentine takes a fistful of my hair in his hand and gently tugs, forcing me to look up at him. His blue eyes have cleared and are burning with passion. My heart drums wildly against my chest making my blood rushes quickly throughout my entire body. He closes the gap between us and presses his lips hungrily against mine. I moan in satisfaction as he tongue darts between my lips and meets with mine. Stars appear in my vision as he aggressively takes the kiss to another level. The kiss is fervent and full of need. I became fully aware of the heat pooling in my core.

I feel something hard poke against my stomach and my body shudders in reaction. Valentine pushes himself forward and again, the same sensation but this time it vibrates and my eyes open wide. I break the kiss and push him away in embarrassment, almost giggling out loud. To think I almost did naughty things in a garage under the most sacred place in the underworld.

"Val, your phone," I whisper in amusement. I try to compose myself and rid myself of wild, unnecessary thoughts as I step away from him.

"Damn it," he says, reluctantly pulling away and fishing out his mobile device. He answers the phone with a quick greeting and I tune my senses to listen in on the conversation.

"Valentine," a voice, who is clearly Vladimir's, says frantically through the speaker. "It's Cassandra, she's awake."

***

Don't forget to vote and comment!

Love you all!