Chapter 17

"Alllllright Granger, you're done." Draco said as he turned her away from the muscular, bearded man and pried the bottle of Firewhiskey from her hands.

"Nooooo! Francis was going to introduce me to his wife!"

Draco chuckled. Granger was completely wasted. Her eyes were nearly closed, lids heavy and droopy, her speech was slurred and choppy, her body looked a little too relaxed, her head rested weirdly on her neck and her back was slumped.

"No. Granger you've had enough," he ripped the drink from her hand and quickly handed it to Rosemerta who had been watching the scene humorously.

Granger reached for her drink as if she were a child crying for a toy that had been taken away. "Just o-one more sip! I didn't finish!!"

"Shhhh Granger be quiet!" A few people at the bar were looking their way. Draco covered her mouth with his hand and dragged her away from the counter. His mistake.

She licked his hand. 

"Eugh gross!! Granger what the hell!"

Draco wiped the saliva off his hand, and onto her sweater. "C'mon we're going back to the castle."

She stumbled out the door and leaned against the side of the building. "Whoa! Watch it!" He warned. "Here, come here." Draco slung her arm around his shoulders and the other around her waist.

Granger, with a surprising amount of strength for a drunk person, shoved him roughly, "I—don't—need your—help!" Draco threw his hands up in surrender but grinned as she began walking the opposite way, stumbling along the leaf strewn path. She staggered a few feet before she tripped and face planted in a pile of leaves.

"Oh shit!" Draco cursed and ran to her side. She just laid there, limp and motionless. He squatted next to her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Alright there Granger?"

She mumbled.

"I take that as a 'no'." He sighed and reached under her arms, heaving her up to her feet. This time when Draco put her arm around his shoulders and his around her waist she obliged. She looked at him goofily and grinned. "I reckon I do need your help."

The fact that there was a leaf plastered to the side of her face and several in her hair made the matter all the more funny. He gave a light chuckle as they stumbled up to the castle.

"Be quiet for a second will you?" He whispered. "I think someone's coming."

Granger giggled but shut her mouth none the less. They had entered the school through the heavy oak doors, sauntering up the staircases until they found themselves on the sixth floor. Just one more to go and they'd be hidden in their common room.

The sound of heels against the stone floor could be heard up ahead. Draco hid them behind a pillar just as Professor McGonagall came into view. She strolled past them and down the corridor to the left. Not a second after she had disappeared did Draco haul Granger up the stairs beside him.

As they reached the end of the skinny corridor, Lupin's portrait came into view. He looked tired and worn as usual but when he saw them stumble and give the password he looked wide awake. "What—"

"Granger here had a little too much drink. Now if you'd kindly let us in, I'd appreciate it if I could get her off of me." 

With a final worried glance at Granger, Lupin swung the door open. Once inside Draco dumped her on the couch and caught his breath.

Granger laid half way off the couch, her head and arms dangling over the edge. She was in a fit of laughter, over what, he had no idea, but Draco figured he should get her cleaned up. She had dirt and wet leaves stuck to her clothes. Stands of hair from her pony tail had fallen out and shrouded her rosy face. There was a slight tear in her jeans from where she had fallen, crimson soaked the fabric just underneath. She must have scraped her knee.