Chapter 14

That night during their patrol Hermione and Malfoy didn't speak a single word to each other. Still seething over the fact that he could be so arrogant and snide while he was a disgrace to the wizarding world was a complete mystery to her. How was it possible for both McGonagall and herself to put so much faith into this one person? A person who had done so much wrong and so little right.

The corridors of Hogwarts were entirely empty; save for Mrs. Norris and the Bloody Baron. Their footsteps seemed projected through the school as they walked as fast as they could through the halls, hoping to be finished with their rounds as quick as possible; not able to spend another minute in each other's presence.

After what seemed liked five hours of patrolling, which was really only an hour and a half, Hermione and Malfoy finally made it back to their common room.

Without a single glance or word Hermione walked to her room and shut the door, locking it instantly. She did the same with the bathroom door as well.

Hermione sighed and dropped herself in her desk chair. Several pieces of parchment and books were already scattered over her desk, obscuring the fine polished wood underneath.

Knock. Knock.

Why was Malfoy knocking at her door? Several seconds later she realized she didn't care.

"Go away!" Hermione yelled.

"Trust me Granger I don't —" whatever Malfoy was about to say he had clearly caught himself before saying anything stupid. He cleared his throat and tried again, "I just wanted to say that I asked Weaslette—"

"Ginny!" She corrected.

Hermione could have sworn she heard him scoff behind her door, and would have been willing to bet that his eyes had almost rolled out of their sockets.

"Yes, I spoke to her and she — well she couldn't make up her bloody mind about what she wanted so— so just tell her and the rest of your crew to be ready to pick something — that uh that's all," two seconds later she heard his door slam and the lock clicking into place.

••••••••

The next morning Hermione was eager to speak to her friends, maybe with her help they could choose something truly awful to do to Malfoy. Once in the Great Hall, Hermione wasn't surprised to see Ron sitting with Dean and Seamus again, he seemed to be in a very deep conversation as she passed.

Hermione took a seat beside Harry and reached for some toast; a mug of steaming tea appeared before her. "Morning," she yawned before she sat straight up suddenly alert. "How was Hagrid's? Did you give him my regards?"

"It was fine," Harry shrugged. "He told us about his Care of Magical Creatures classes."

"And how was it going?" Hermione asked curiously. With Hagrid, you never really knew what might happen.

"It seemed alright. He said he found some unicorns in the forest, was probably going to have a lesson on them soon."

"Thats nice. I feel horrible that I couldn't go with you two," she said solemnly to Ginny and Harry.

"He said it's fine, figured you were busy with Head Girl duties. . . He's really proud of you Hermione, Hagrid is, told us he didn't know anyone else more responsible than you. McGonagall couldn't have picked anyone better."

Hermione smiled sadly as she ate; Hagrid's words meant so much to her. After several minuets she finished breakfast and promised Harry and Ginny that she would accompany them next time they visited their giant friend.