How to Talk to Your Crush Without Being Crushed

Put in a little time before you go in and speak to him or her. It pays to be prepared. You don't just take a math test without studying, or pass a driver's ed test without taking a class. The people who put time and thought into winning their crush usually have a better shot at winning them.

Try to strike a good balance between preparing and being creepily prepared. Your crush likes getting the extra attention you want to give them, but they don't want to feel like you've been thinking about them every single second for the past three days. That's a bit creepy, even if it might be true!

Spend some time relaxing beforehand. Take deep breaths and practice letting your entire body go limp. This is sometimes easier when you aren't in public. Try relaxing in your bed before going to sleep or when you get home or in the shower.  

Think before you speak. You can get over your nervousness — or eliminate it altogether — by taking a moment to consider your options. Practice at home before actually approaching your crush, and you won't be caught in an awkward moment of silence. Take your time, especially if you're about to make a first impression on someone who's important to you.

Practice in the mirror. You'll want to make sure you know what you're going to say, but don't make it sound rehearsed. Imagine a variety of situations in which you might have the opportunity to talk to your crush, and act these out in front of the mirror. The more prepared you are, the more confident you'll be during the conversation itself.Have fun with it. Sure, try the serious versions of what you want to say, but also say it in a completely goofy way that makes you laugh. The less serious you take yourself, the more natural you will be when the time comes.

Get to know a little bit about them. Take the time to notice what pictures they have in their notebook, or what they eat at lunch, or which sports they like to play. Knowing these small but important details will help you make conversation later on. It could help you say something like:

"I noticed those movies on your notebook. I'm all about movies from the '80s. Do you have a favorite?"Hey, my friends and I were going to play some pickup after school. Maybe you'd want to join if you're up for it?"

Find innovative ways to boost your self-confidence. One of the reasons you're probably afraid of being crushed is that it will hurt your confidence. Don't let that happen. It's crazy to let your confidence be swayed by just one person. Much of your confidence should come from how you feel about yourself. So find ways to boost your confidence before you really start getting to know your crush. That way, you'll be more attractive to your crush and you won't be crushed if something bad happens.

Look at your Facebook wall. Studies have found that simply looking at your Facebook wall for 3 minutes can significantly boost your self-confidence. It's worth a try!Spend a little time with your dad. Studies also show that kids who spend more time with their fathers during adolescence turn out to be more confident than those who spend less. Note: It's probably best to hang out with your dad several hours before talking with your crush. It's for the best.

Be outcome-independent. What does that mean? It means put yourself in a position where you don't care whether your crush likes you back. Why is this important? It's important for two reasons. It helps you deal with rejection, which is ultimately something you're going to have to do. (If you're not getting rejected somewhere along the way, you're not trying.) And secondly, it helps you have a healthier relationship with your crush. Instead of building the crush up to be a superhero who will save everything in your world, you treat them like a normal, but special, person instead.

What? you say. Why would I do that? I don't even have control over it. You may not. But sometimes, we think about our crushes so much, and we imagine what life would be with them, that we start to develop unhealthy relationships with their imaginary selves. These imaginary relationships become so unhealthy that we can't imagine ourselves being without this person, all without the other person even knowing.If you're outcome-independent, your confidence grows. This is attractive to a lot of people. You don't feel that getting rejected from any one girl or any one guy is a big deal, and so you shrug it off. Your confidence is bigger than the rejection of one person.

Approach your crush when you are alone. The first time you interact on a personal level should be in a casual situation without too many other people around to distract you. The middle of the dance floor would not be great place to have a lengthy conversation, for example.

Go up to your crush during lunch time in the cafeteria. Ask him or her if you can sit next to them and begin to strike up a conversation. It's often honestly as simple as that.Talk to your crush at a party. Whether it's a birthday party or a pool party, if you're both invited, you have an excuse to talk to them.Interact with him or her through one of your mutual friends. If you're friends with one of his friends, go up to the friend and start talking, waiting for him to give you something to say.

Introduce yourself.
If you've already formally introduced yourself, then all you need to do is say a simple "hi" or "hello." Remember to look your crush directly into the eyes when you say hello. You're unintentionally saying a lot if you stare down at your shoes while saying hello.  

Ask your crush about himself or herself. Ask thought-provoking things that relate to your current situation—"why" and "how" questions are typically best if you want to talk for awhile. These often lead to in-depth discussions that both of you can participate in, which is ideal when talking to a crush.

Remember to try to avoid simple "yes" or "no" questions. If you ask your crush "Did you go to school in Canada?" they don't have to give you a long answer. If you ask your crush "What was it like going to school in Canada?" they'll talk a lot more.Ask them about their background. Where are they from, what do their parents do, how do they know so-and-so, etc. People, your crush included, love talking about themselves.

Remember to interject occasionally if your crush is telling a long story. Meaning ask a few questions while he/she is telling the story. This will show them that you are paying attention to what they have to say. If you come up with a story to tell, make sure your crush has finished talking before you begin, and keep it short and sweet so your crush doesn't think you're full of yourself.