XXVIII. A New Dawn

Previously on 'Reign Of Gods':

27. Quest For A Feather

"Perhaps, the mirror reveals hidden truths. That's why it is showing you Sasuke in his sword."

"They call me Mei. Although, you might better know me as Aphrodite."

"You put my best friend through all this because your conscious was taking a guilt trip?"

I am missing something. Its too neat, all of this - finding the feathers, passing a trial and voila! I have saved a god. No. Nothing in this world is that easy.

My heart stops beating and my breath hitches at the spectacle of the god of fire.

🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸🔸

Language and content warning has been given to you.

🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹🔹

28. A New Dawn

Completely unedited chapter. I'll get to it when I can. Apologies.

"You mean to say, she just came and casually handed it over to you?"

"Looks like," Ino replies, examining her present.

"And you didn't even think of asking for directions?"

"Hey!" she turns to me defensively. "You heard her! She can't interfere in mortal matters. That means us!"

"She has interfered quite enough already," I point out. "In case you missed it."

She puffs her cheeks out like a child.

"I don't get it. Why are you defending her?"

"Because," she yells, exasperated. "She is my mother!"

"You just met her."

"She's still my mother."

"So what, she automatically gets to be defended?"

Ino slouches. "You're right. Still.."

She is excited to have met her mother, spoken to her and particularly happy about having received a present from her. A bow and a sheath of arrows, no less. Her mother was rather annoyed on being compared to Cupid though. I missed the whole thing, busy as I was fighting off an Orotaur while the mother-daughter pair chatted away in the background.

Turns out some of them were left behind after the pitiful death of their master.

Flying between the clouds is the best feeling. Especially after everything we have endured, the journey away from Orochimaru's lair is a blessing. Our Pegasus whinnies as we pass over a forest and slows down. She was waiting for us when we exited the nightmarish place. A sight for sore eyes, really.

"Are you hungry?" I ask her, gently caressing her soft mane.

She lowers us all into the forest and walks toward a tree, plucking a fresh, ripe and appetizing fruit. Ino reaches for one too but, something Sasuke said comes to me and I pull her hand back. It takes a whole lot of energy to explain to a hungry Ino why she can't just have the juiciest looking fruits she has ever seen. 

Even then, she remains skeptical.

Each and everything is a sight to behold as we fly over the sheer beauty of nature and I want nothing more than to stop and stare, breathe in the glory of heaven. But, I'm afraid it can't be so, for my conscious is already slipping away into a dreamless sleep.